Attic fan running non-stop

Old 05-25-16, 02:05 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Attic fan running non-stop

installed an attic fan over the winter and today we are having our first really hot day here in NJ...about 86F.
The fan is set to the highest setting of 120F and I checked it several times.... (since it is quiet I can't hear it from any rooms so that's good, but I have to go up multiple times to verify it's running).

It seems to me that there is no drop in temp up in the attic and the fan just stays on continuously as it never can drop below 120F.

Should I be concerned? I mean, can the motor overheat ? Shouldn't the fan be able to cool down the attic space.
The fan is rated for about 25% more than my total attic area

I would expect that when it is 95F or 100F outside then indeed it would run non-stop but with 86F and a nice breeze...I was hoping it would be able to drop the temp below 120F

Thanks!

Old 05-25-16, 02:09 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Do you have soffit ventilation to help move cooler air to replace the hot air that the fan is pushing out? Sometimes the soffit vents get blocked by blown in insulation, or gable vents are all that the home was built with.

Old 05-25-16, 02:09 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A remote temperature gauge would tell you how the temperature is doing.

As for the fan, how is it exhausted and where does the air come in to keep the flow going?

Bud
Z your slid in while I hesitated

Last edited by Bud9051; 05-25-16 at 02:10 PM. Reason: note
Old 05-26-16, 07:26 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Strange but soffit vents are only along the front side of the house.....the back side seems blocked.
Front and back are the long sides of the house.
There are gable vents on the opposite sides - one has the fan....they are both the same size

Old 05-27-16, 03:00 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Why they are blocked needs to be determined. Sometimes the just cover plywood with vented material without cutting holes and other times they blow insulation into the soffits. TBD.

Is the fan just blowing "at" the gable vent or is it installed to exhaust straight out. It would still have louvers or a screen to keep the bugs out. Was the fan all assembled or did you have to put it together?

You will need that temp reading from up there, those remotes aren't very expensive.

Getting below 120 while the sun is shining may not be possible. But once the sun sets you should see the temp drop rather quickly, maybe one hour. With the fan off I would expect temps over 140, maybe 160 and for the attic to remain hot well into the night. Some day when you need new shingles, they now offer more reflective options. They greatly reduce the energy being transferred into the attic.

Bud

Old 06-10-16, 03:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like normal operation

The heat load in your attic is more a function of the sun than outside temperature. In Houston on a suuny day 140 deg F or higher was very common. I noticed a much quicker cool down after sundown with the powered vent. Fan would go off about two hours after sundown. If your attic access is from your garage, you might try opening the pull down ladder with the garage door up a few inches to see if the fan shuts off earlier in the evening. Earlier turn off with would tell you to find more vent area. Most fan motors are rated for continuous operation at the temp rise expected in the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: