Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Adjust door rough opening size on load-bearing wall

Old 06-27-16, 10:10 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of finishing my basement, currently wrapping up the framing stage. The main load-bearing wall running through the middle of the basement was already framed, including the rough opening for a door from the living area (will be finished) into a laundry/mechanical room (will leave unfinished). However, the rough opening is a weird size: approximately 34" wide x 74" tall. From what I have read, the rough opening for a standard 80" door should be somewhere between 82"-83" tall. Is it possible to adjust the height of the rough opening, without ruining the structural integrity of the wall? I wouldn't be concerned if it wasn't a load-bearing wall, but it is. Does anyone have experience with this situation or any suggestions for what my options are? I attached a few pictures for reference.

Also, regarding the width: a 34" rough opening would leave me with a 32" door size. Is that a big enough opening to a room with washer/dryer, water heater, furnace, etc.? Similar to my first question, can I expand the width of the rough opening on a load-bearing wall? I'm concerned about fitting major appliances through a 32" door when it comes time to replace them.

Attached Images     
Old 06-27-16, 10:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Most appliances will fit thru a 32" door.
You can't make the opening higher without getting input from a structural engineer as to the load that header carries. It shouldn't be a big deal to temporarily support the joists above and build a longer header set on new jack studs to increase the width.

Old 06-27-16, 10:46 AM
R
So, if I can't adjust the height of the opening (w/o a structural engineer), any suggestions on where/how I can get a custom sized door to fit the rough opening? Cutting 6+ inches off a standard door seems excessive, but is it possible? Or are there places who will do custom-sized doors for a reasonable price?

Old 06-27-16, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What is the height from floor to joists? The opening width, as Marksr said, is fine for most appliances. Just make sure you have room within the room to move them about somewhat. Like a small finger puzzle when you were a kid.

Old 06-27-16, 02:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
any suggestions on where/how I can get a custom sized door to fit the rough opening?
What type of door do you intend to install? I've taken luan doors and cut of a considerable amount and then ripped a 2x to insert at the bottom to replace the support that was cut off. Mobile home doors can be got in 76" heights. Most places that sell doors can order custom sizes.

Old 06-27-16, 02:47 PM
I think a 32" door is fine. This is wider than most interior doors.

As far as height, I wouldn't buy a custom door just for that. Mark posted a good idea to fix an off the shelf door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: