Need Help Waterproofing a Basement Window

Old 06-30-16, 05:09 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help Waterproofing a Basement Window

Hello all. For a number of years now we have a window in the basement that leaks HORRIBLY when it rains and even worse so when it rains heavily. I am talking to the point that the window will fill with water enough until it pops open.

This is of course not a good thing and the only "good" news is, the basement is not finished. However, I would like to do so at some point in the near future. To do that though, I need to fix this window pronto!

The window currently resides under a deck, so it offers no light or viewing pleasures whatsoever. I finally managed to get up a couple deck boards so I could access it and see what is causing this water to flood in. The metal around the window looks to be in good shape. I ran some water in that direction to see what would happen. This is where I am a little shocked and need some assistance.

The water ran to one spot near the center of the window and then I heard a trickling noise. I moved a few leaves and found a hole the size of a golf ball or so. I dug at it with my fingers and it just crumbled away meaning it was much deeper and bigger. After digging and getting to the bottom I can now fit my arm into it. Furthermore, it goes to the very bottom of the metal guard that is supposed to keep things out of the window. I was able to slip my fingers right into the window area.

So clearly, water is going straight to that spot and then flooding into the window. So, how do I go about fixing this? I figure if I just fill it in with dirt wont water saturate the dirt and then seep into the window? Should I install some sort of guard on the very outside of the deck so that water can't flow underneath it?

I am sort of lost as to what to do here. Do I fill the hole with something? Do I install a guard of some sort outside the deck? Do I fill in the window and if so, how? So many questions!

Thank you guys!

Old 06-30-16, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Windows are not waterproof. So your time would be best spent figuring out how to keep water away from the area. Whether that means regrading the area, putting a cover over the window well, or remove the window entirely, block up the void, remove the window well and fill the area with dirt. Start with looking at the gutters... why is so much water ending up in one spot? It could be that the area should have had more slope before the deck was built. Ground around a house should slope 1" per foot for the first 10' as you move away from the house. So in 12', you should have dropped 1 ft.

Old 06-30-16, 05:56 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I know exactly where the water comes from. When it rains it makes its way across the driveway and as soon as it gets close to the deck, seeps under there. My guess is that when the deck was installed they didn't properly slope it away from the house. Years later, it slowly eroded a small path directly towards the window. The problem is, I can't exactly do much about the driveway in terms of slope and I can't exactly rip up the entire deck to fix it that way either. I suppose I could take up the board farthest on the outside of the deck and install some guard under the deck so that water can't make its way under there to begin with.

The key thing here I know is that I need to keep water from getting under the deck to begin with. A small amount wont hurt I know, but the flowing of water is no good at all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: