Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

How to properly get rid of the cold room/ cellar in the basement?

Old 07-28-16, 02:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am currently undergoing complete basement renovations from A to Z. I began insulating all interior foundation (poured concrete) walls with a 1 inch rigid foam insulation (XPS). I also have a cold room that is approx. 4' by 5' which I would like to completely close off, i.e. build a continuous wall which would close off the cold room. What is the best way to go about getting rid of the cold room? I sealed off the fresh air vents to the cold room, to prevent air from circulating and I intend to block/insulate the entrance to the cold room with rigid foam insulation and then build my 2x4 frame with batt insulation and drywall. Is this a good way to get rid of it? I have posed this question to few different people and I seem to get conflicting responses. For the context, my basement is very dry, no moisture or mold problem, it is a 1960s one level bungalow construction and I live in Ontario, Canada.

I would really appreciate any advise.

Alex

Old 07-28-16, 02:44 PM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Cold Room

Think about what the conditions will be in the cold room and how those conditions will affect the floor above. I think you need ventilation or at least a dehumidifier in the cold room. I would not block access to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: