Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations: Wood or Aluminum Folding Attic Stairs

Old 08-23-16, 08:26 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have reviewed some of the older posts about folding attic stairs but I'm hoping to get some feedback from people with more recent experience on how their stairs are holding up, flimsy or sturdy, and other points.

I am replacing an existing wooden stairway that's been in use since 1989. It has served us well for our needs, occasional use, sometimes once or twice a month. It's in a roughly 25 x 54 opening. I was considering going with an aluminum unit by Louisville that goes for around $170 at the big box stores. There's also a Werner unit that goes for a bit more. After reading some of the reviews (particularly on Amazon) I'm not sure about aluminum and am looking at the wooden units that sell for about $100 to $130. The wooden unit has worked just fine for my needs. Should I consider a more expensive unit that goes fo $200 and up?

I also see that there were a lot of issues with the gas cylinders not holding up but they were older reviews. Have the manufacturers resolved these problems?
Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
The aluminum ones are vastly superior.

Old 08-23-16, 10:33 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
In addition to the new stairs be sure you have an air tight cover to prevent moisture and heat from flowing into the attic.

Bud

Old 08-23-16, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
One more opinion. Definitely metal stairs. They are lighter in weight, but stronger and they don't (usually) rely on those pesky springs. The last one we installed utilized air shocks to help raise it. They dio have a better seal, as Bud mentioned.