Fireblocking Basement Wall Question

Old 11-17-16, 11:28 AM
Fireblocking Basement Wall Question

As I slowly work on this basement project, I realized one of the outside walls will have the wall built about 3 to 4 inches off the concrete wall to work around existing drain pipes.

So when you build a basement wall that is not flush to the existing concrete wall, what do you do about fire blocking that wall? I already have rigid foam against the concrete and planning to add batts of insulation between the studs. But I'll likely still have that 3 inches of air between that wall and the concrete.

Do you just put boards between each stud at top from the edge of 2x4 to the concrete? Something like I see here?

https://www.google.com/search?q=base...l0kCrmccjoM%3A

I just want to make sure things meet/pass inspection when the time comes. And none of these basement walls i'm building here on load bearing. Just working to finish out the basement.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-16, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
First, I would not add any insulation to the inside of the pipes.

Second, to answer your question, are you planning to drywall?

Old 11-17-16, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
You can either put a 6-8" strip of 1/2" drywall or a rip of 3/4 plywood against the joists first before framing your wall. Snap a chalk line to represent the front edge of the top plate and follow that.

Old 06-27-17, 04:55 PM
Two levels of fire blocking within closed interior basement stud wall.

I understand the need for fire blocking to prevent a fire within a given stud wall from getting up into the spaces above and beyond that give stud wall. However, I have interior basement stud walls with sheet rock on both sides of the wall that two levels of horizontal fire blocking within each stud cavity - roughly separating each stud cavity into thirds going from the floor to the ceiling. Why would these two levels of fire blocking be used when the top sill of the wall is itself already a fireblock? I assume this was done to meet code requirements but I don't understand why the code would require that. I understand how and why you have to do if the wall is covered with sheet rock on only one side - like when the stud wall is on the outside wall of the foundation. I just don't understand the point of it for a simple interior wall that has sheet rock on both sides. Any explanations?

Old 06-27-17, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Hard to say without seeing it. You are assuming it is fire blocking, but since it's not required in a wall that is under 8' tall, it could be there for an entirely different reason than what you think.

Old 06-27-17, 05:19 PM
So when you build a basement wall that is not flush to the existing
concrete wall
They never are, a gap is always present.

Fire block is between floors, not within floors.

Old 06-28-17, 07:32 AM
Well, you may very well be right, i.e. that it is not really there for fire blocking purposes. However, in many videos, etc, those horizontal cross pieces in the middle of the wall always seem to be called "fire- blocking" by everybody. Perhaps, despite the common name, they are merely there for stability purposes. They sure can get in the way of other things. I didn't mention before that these partitions are built with 2 x 3 rather than 2 x 4.