Is this a structural problem?

Old 01-07-17, 07:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a structural problem?

We just had a home inspected . We liked the home but there are quite a few cracks on walls and ceiling (including cracks at corner of doors) .

When I questioned the Inspector, he said nothing of concern but he added -- the house is still settling . It is a 50 year old house and still settling ! Isn't it a structural concern ? Does it need an inspection by a structural engineer ?

The home inspector just listed as cracks on walls and ceiling but did not recommend structural inspection nor listed it as an area of concern

Old 01-07-17, 07:47 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Got some pictures so we can see what your seeing?
Is it sheetrock, plaster?

Old 01-07-17, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A agree.... pictures are needed. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-07-17, 08:02 PM
C
Thanks ! Plastered ceiling. Sheetrock walls. Will post pictures tomorrow

Old 01-08-17, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Think about who hired the inspector.....you or was he recommended by the real estate broker. If the latter, he was there to facilitate a sale, not inspect a house.

For him to say there was nothing wrong with settling cracks is irresponsible. While we wait on pictures get ready for a battle with the inspector, or have your own inspector come in and do the job right.

While plaster cracks with settlement, surely they would have been repaired in the last 47 years or so. More importantly was the structure repaired that caused the failure in the first place.

Old 01-08-17, 05:11 AM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
While plaster cracks with settlement, surely they would have been repaired in the last 47 years or so.
I agree with the comment regarding who's inspection but also minor cracks do not always mean there is a structural issue.

I've had houses that had spots that every year as the weather changed would develope cracks in drywall. Nothing was wrong just minor movements in the entire house.

Old 01-14-17, 10:18 AM
C
Sorry for the delay ... got pics . The first set is from basement (ground level -- it is a split level house). There are very few cracks in basement level -- a small crack on ceiling and one corner of a window. The second set is from upper level -- Living room, Sun Room (has posts under) and bathroom . This is a sample -- there are quite a few cracks in living room, dining room, kitchen and sunroom (all on one side of the house) ... not many in the bedrooms (the other side of house)

Attached Images   
Old 01-14-17, 10:25 AM
C
Upper Level

Here is the upper level pics. As I said, most of the cracked areas are in upper level -- there is one large crack across the living room (parallel to the ceiling joists) and another crack on the same ceiling -- some of the kitchen crack are badly patched , some vertical straight crack on sunroom wall, a few diagonal cracks on corner of door and window mostly in bathroom and dining area

Attached Images           
Old 01-15-17, 06:34 AM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
Its really hard to tell even from the pictures, did you confirm if you have drywall or plaster?

None of the cracks seem large, what is the avg width?

THe one crack on the yellow wall between moldings looks like a crack between sheets of drywall. Is it around 4' from the floor or ceiling?

Old 01-15-17, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Votes on 823 Posts
Plaster cracks, it's just a given. Some cracks might be due to the house being unheated at some point. When drywall cracks, it can be for various reasons... the biggest of which is poor drywall hanging techniques and poor taping. Occasionally a lack of fasteners in framing is to blame. Generally cracks like what you are seeing are all cosmetic and don't indicate a major problem.

Old 01-15-17, 07:03 AM
C
Thanks. It is plaster on ceiling and drywall on the walls . The width of most of the cracks is a little wider than hariline -- may be about 1/16 of an inch . The yellow wall vertical crack (it is actually green , looks like yellow in the pic) is in the sunroom that has no basement (on posts over a porch) . There are a few cracks like those in that room all starts from floor to the window sill but yes, it looks like those are drywall joint cracks .

We are probably going to bite the bullet and go with this house and take up any issues as we go but still need to know where should I start the work. I know some of the joist are weak (bouncy floor) which I think is not uncommon for a 50 year old house

The exposed concrete floor in garage (part of the house) looks good with a few hairline crack . However, there is a gap (about 0.5 inch) between the floor and wall in garage.

BTW, the inspector was not recommended by the realtor , it was my pick but I think I made a bad choice (I found more issues than him -- though all minor like no grounding in some electrical outlet, leaks through caulk etc. )

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: