Air sealing attic??

Old 02-02-17, 06:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air sealing attic??

I moved in the summer to a new house-1962 brick split level, no wall insulation and a limited amount of what I think is blown in or loose rock wool or cellulose. There is no where near the needed amount since I can see the joists in a lot of spots. Is there a vac I can rent to suck out old insulation? What products should I use to air seal the gaps I find? There is no ridge vent in the roof, just two gable vents at each end. Do I blow in cellulose all the way down into the eve of the roof or do I need to keep the end of the run clear for venting? I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-17, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Where are the air gaps located that you want to seal?

If you do not have vents in the eaves/soffits then you don't need to worry about keeping the insulation away. You may want to consider adding soffit vents to increase the ventilation in the attic in which case you should install dams in each joist bay to prevent blown insulation from getting out into the soffit.

Loose insulation can be vacuumed out with any shop vac though I have to warn you that you will have to empty the vac VERY frequently. You will collect a huge volume of insulation. Something like a dust collector for a wood shop would also work. You can also get up in the attic and shovel the insulation into garbage bags.

Old 02-02-17, 06:48 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Why does the old insulation need to come out?
Use expanding foam to seal up any gaps.
Are there soffit vents, and if so are you sure there's enough?
Often times in older homes the vent's have been painted over so many times it restricts the airflow.