Finishing Basement - Squeaky Floor Boards Above

Old 02-10-17, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing Basement - Squeaky Floor Boards Above

Before I start building the soffits, I want to do what I can to update / add / improve any areas I will be covering up.

20 year old ranch house with a full basement, solid wood floor joists, looks to be 3/4 plywood sub-floor. I'm guessing just nails, no adhesive.

There are about 8 places walking around up stairs that create a squeak when stepping. I also notice things like the TV table bounce or rock a little as I walk through the room. One of the worst spots is in the hallway, right above a support beam and steel support column. I tried getting a shim under this spot once but there was no clearance to do so.

The kitchen (two squeaky spots) has newer tile that I won't be pulling up. The rest of the house has older carpet that I might replace in a few years.

The floor joists are supported on 2 beams, one that runs the full length of the house. Under these beams are "Adjusa Column" steel support columns. I thought about turning the one under this bad spot a 1/4 turn, but they don't have a nut. The bottom plate has to turn to raise or lower it, which is Tapcon'd to the floor.

Should I mess with these columns?

Attempt to toenail the joists into the sub-floor with screws?

Attempt to run 1 1/2 screws through the sub-flooring only?

Other ideas?

Thanks!

-Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-17, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Squeaks in floor are from wood sliding up and down on nails. Is the floor carpeted or hard wood?

Old 02-10-17, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
In the basement, go to the area of squeaks and see if there is a miss hit on a nail that is riding side saddle to the joist. If so, bend it out of the way. Movement of the floor near the TV is signs of an over spanned floor system for the size joists. Squeaks under tile is not a good sign and also shows movement and the floor may have issues down the road. You can also get hard plastic wedge spacers used to install laminate flooring - they are hard enough to drive into a joist area to quiet things down.

Old 02-10-17, 03:48 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
One confusing post and and no pictures or needed info.
How does a soffit come into play?
What size joist and style, free spans?
Lally columns with no footings under them?

Old 02-11-17, 03:53 AM
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
I also notice things like the TV table bounce or rock a little as I walk through the room.
You have 2 problems.

The squeaky floors can be addressed one spot at a time, installing shims, shims and glue, I've even glued and screwed pieces of plywood to the bottom of floors to fix. No one fix!

The bouncy floors are a result of joist spans being too great and the floor needs additional support. Easiest solution is a micro lam with adjustable posts.

Old 02-11-17, 05:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Sometimes sistering a joist along side the ones in question will be enough to eliminate the bounce. A beam to give support midway is best but might cause problems with headroom or aesthetics, plus you should also make sure the support posts have an adequate footer under them.

Old 02-11-17, 11:57 AM
support posts have an adequate footer under them
If your putting up a beam and post just to remove deflection then setting them on the floor is perfectly fine, there is no load on them other than the weight of the person walking on the floor above!

Head room and hopefully being able to bury the posts in a finished wall is a consideration.

Old 02-21-17, 02:24 PM
The floor is framed with 2x10 solid wood lumber, 16" on center. The span the depth of the house across two 5" i beams.

Floor is a mix of carpet, and newer tile over plywood and original laminate flooring.

No I don't see any missed nails, and it doesn't sound like a nail rubbing on a joist. But it could be sub-floor riding on a loose nail, or even wood on wood on the interfacing edges of the sub-floor.

Soffits come into play, because I don't want to start putting up obstructions before I get the floor squeaks fixed.

As for the deflection, I'll have to look into where I can add support. Most everywhere I have thought of so far... is right where I don't want it.

I had thought about sistering 2x4's up against the sub-floor with a jack (just to get it tight) and secured with const adhesive and deck screws into the joists.

Old 02-21-17, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Try wedges first. Have a person walk around upstairs while someone listens downstairs to locate the area of the squeaks. Then drive wedges in the area of the noise between the top of the floor joists and the plywood until the squeak stops.

Old 02-25-17, 03:30 PM
That seems to be doing the trick. I had a pack of those composite shims (that I hate for anything else so far).

They have enough structural integrity to be beaten in between the sub-floor and joists. The worst spot in the house took two shims near each other to silence the squeak. I'm going to give it a few weeks with weather changes to see if it holds up.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-17, 12:59 PM
had a pack of those composite shims
Best option is to use wood shims and coat with glue before installing, wont work their way loose!

Old 02-26-17, 03:47 PM
That makes sense. I tried getting wood shims in there but they wouldn't hold up. Refused to tap into place. More pressure / impact just shredded them.

That process will work for the kitchen / tiled side though, so I'll re-do those.

The rest of the house, I may pull the shims out, and just wait until I pull up the carpet to install screws into the joists through the sub-floor later.