Covering tar coating on interior foundation

Old 02-17-17, 11:41 AM
Covering tar coating on interior foundation

We currently have an unfinished poured concrete basement that is used for storage, a gym & a utility room. Currently the walls have fibreglass insulation half way down with a loose fit moisture barrier then the bottom half is just bare concrete, however at some point they have painted a tar coating over it which has leached onto some of our stores stuff and gym equipment.

I am looking for a way to cover the walls just to make the room look abit brighter & stop anything coming into contact with the far.

I originally thought about removing the fibreglass and painting the walls using some sort of sealant but reading online it doesn't seem like anything will cover the tar properly.

Was thinking about putting up 3x1 furring strips and then drywall over the top? I would love to have the basement properly finished but that is not an option right now & im looking for a simple cheapish solution that I could do instead of going full insulation & framed

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-17, 11:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Shane!

Latex paint should do ok. Oil base paints will 'melt' the tar enough that it bleeds thru the paint.

Old 02-17-17, 03:06 PM
#1, no location in your profile.
#2, No pictures.
This site and any DIY site will have hundreds of post on basements.
None of the suggested you've made would work.
1X,s of a concrete wall is never the way to go!
No room for the needed vapor barrier, wiring, insulation!