Flooded crawl space

Old 04-05-17, 07:45 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooded crawl space

I have a 900 sq ft crawl space I went in after all the heavy rains. Fiberglass insulation on the 'ceiling' was dripping, saturated. It's extremely muddy, and I noticed running water coming down a gentle slope. I followed it and came to a spot in the middle of the house. I didn't know where it was coming from. I dug down about five inches and hit water. I could see it coming in from somewhere, but can't trace the source. I figure there's a high water table here.
So I put a sump pump at the lowest point where the water was coming from. I wonder if this is the best place for it after it dries up a little.
I need to take care of this problem. I don't know if a sump pump is the answer.
A contractor quoted me $10,000 to correct the problem with a trough along the perimeter of the northside of the house outside. He ended up charging $18,000 and didn't correct the problem at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 12:07 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
So you have already paid someone $18K to fix the water problem you describe or just found the water problem after the repairs?

You also mention that the fiberglass insulation under the floor was saturated, that doesn't sound like it would be caused by ground water.

Need more information on what was, was not done??

Old 04-06-17, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
Have you called the contractor back and asked him why his fix didn't work? Since water always flows downhill the low point would likely be the best place for the pump ..... maybe you need two ?? Is the exterior grading and downspouts situated in a manner that doesn't add to the problem?

With enough water in the crawlspace along with inadequate ventilation I'm not surprised the insulation got wet.