Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Leak around main level door into unfinished basement when it rains

Old 06-30-17, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am on a unfinished walkout basement with brick wall on rear. Single door on basement. Main level door is 65 inch patio door. Main door opens to a deck. When it rains I see water leak into my basement . The leak matches with the door on main level. I thought it was the issue with deck flashing. Got a handy man yesterday to re-do the flashing. Today again it leaked. The handy man says, the water could be flashing on the bricks near the door bottom area ( is it called sill) and entering the house. None of the residents in my subdivision have this issue ( all houses built 3 years back and same builder. This leak is getting on my nerves. Everyone is saying build a porch on the deck so the roof protects water entering. Not sure I can afford another 10 grand. What could be the issue here? Not sure how to add pictures here. Any suggestions? Please let me know

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A porch won't stop the water. Look for hairline cracks in the foundation, inside & outside.

Old 06-30-17, 06:58 AM
Hmm foundation may not be issue. We are talking about leak on the rear side of the house and the leak is happening from the level where the deck is connected to the house and around the mail level porch door area.

Old 06-30-17, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Test it with a garden hose. Start from the bottom up. Have someone look while you spray or the other way around.

Old 06-30-17, 07:57 PM
Here are some of the pictures Name:  inside-basement.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  17.3 KBName:  outside-basement.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  17.0 KBName:  under-deck.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  15.6 KB

Old 07-01-17, 05:26 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Post a picture of the outside so we can see the area where the deck meets the side of the house where that door is.
Biggest building 101 mistake I often see is the decking is even with the threshold, or someone installed a kick plate under the threshold that sits out beyond it forming a funnel for water to get in behind it.