Dehumidifying large, L shaped basement

Old 08-04-17, 05:50 AM
Dehumidifying large, L shaped basement

Hi everyone. This is a followup to my question about the musty smell in my basement.

My basement is a rather large, L shaped structure, about 80 feet long on the long side, and 15 feet wide, then maybe 25 feet by 50 feet on the short side. It's safe to say it's about 3000 square feet. It's largely finished, with two offices, a bathroom, a bedroom, and a theater. The finished rooms all have a single vent for air to flow in. There is a single vent pulling air into the AC unit at the joint of the L.

I had french drains and vapor barriers put in the entirety of the basement in 2014.

At the top end of the L is where the french drain, sump pump, air outflow all reside. On the other end is a brick wall with a door that opens to the garage.

I would like to keep the humidity level at the recommended 50-60% down there, and I am looking at Santa Fe units. Because of the size and layout, I'm trying to determine the best course of action for this. Would two smaller units at the ends be a better option than one larger one? Where would be the best place to put this? I'm looking at the Santa Fe site and I'm scratching my head a little.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-17, 06:20 AM
Even though the area is large as you pull down the humidity at one end it will quickly balance out.

As long as it/they are sized for the total area there wont be much difference if you had one large vs two smaller units.

Old 08-04-17, 07:12 AM
When I called Santa Fe they suggested putting an in-line AC system. On both ends of the area I have areas that are unfinished, 8x15 on one side, and 15x35 on the other. The larger area is where I have the work bench, exercise bike, and the other is where the sump pump, outflow, etc is.

Old 08-04-17, 07:48 AM
I try not to put a dehumidifier near an open source of water - like a sump. that's sort of self defeating.

The idea of having one unit running and letting the moisture level balance out is a good one as long as you have airflow across the entire space. If you are keeping doors closed or the air is not moving on its own, you won't see that balance happen. Similarly, the AC in the house (assuming it is central AC) does a pretty good job of dehumidifying, as long as it its supply is bringing back that humid air. I suspect this isn't working in your case with only one air return in that large basement and many room to draw from.

I think you could go with one dehumidifier but keep the doors open and some fans running in each room to keep the air moving. That is what I do and it seems to work. I keep a box fan around and turn it on at the opposite end of the basement from the dehumidifier when the musty smell gets string.

- Peter

Old 08-04-17, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't call the sump an open source of water. There's a lid, and then two layers of heavy plastic sheeting over that.

I do keep my doors open, but the only real drain is over by the sump. I could easily put it over by the air intake and just add another air intake, that would put it sort of near the middle. The other side of the basement, with the workbench area, doesn't really have a drain that I can go to, but I guess I can add a drain that goes to the french drain or to the drain in the garage.

Last edited by diy_in_atl; 08-04-17 at 10:26 AM. Reason: More data.
Old 08-09-17, 03:33 PM
Ok I called Santa Fe. They pointed me at the Ultra Aire dehumidifiers. I was looking at the 155H. I'm wondering though, how hard is it to fit that into the existing system I have?