Bad dehumidifer install

Old 08-14-17, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad dehumidifer install

My elderly parents had a dehumidifier installed in their crawlspace a couple of months ago, I had no idea until several weeks after the install was completed. They have a humidity monitor, and it was not going down, so they complained to me and that was how I found out that they had this done. So I went over there to see what was going on - crawled under the house with my camera. I found out that the pump had been installed with the little shipping "remove" tab still sticking out from the unit. The dehumidifier was running, and sending water to the pump, which was promptly overflowing, and the pump was literally sitting in a couple inches of water. I kid you not.

Also found the vents were not sealed, there are now mice back in there and the insulation is falling down. So we (me and my sibs) are furious and have contacted the company, and they are coming out on Thursday to "make it right" and the guy has apologized for the "very unprofessional" job. He had no choice - we sent him the pics.

Anyway, I have also asked an electrician to stop by and just do a look-see to verify that the electrical is good. It appears they put an outlet on an existing circuit, and have the units plugged into that. I suppose that would be fine, but I have no idea of the load on that circuit, so I want the electrician to check that out. I'm also going to have him put a light down there that we can switch on from the access panel.

All that^^ is just background info. Here is my question:
At one of the vents that have light pouring through, I noticed a bunch of cords running out the wall, right beside (or through - not sure) the vent. The light is coming in around those cables. I didn't know what these cables were, and my dad walked outside to look and said that they were Cox cable/Verizon lines. He said those had been there for years. I thought that was odd - I have no cables running through my crawl vents, even before I had them sealed. Do people actually do this?? I am attaching a picture so you can see what I am referring to.

If this is standard, then we will need to somehow caulk around those cables (in addition to getting the vent properly sealed). Also, they don't even have Cox cable anymore, have not had it for years. So I am going to have that cable cut and pulled out. But what do you think - it is normal to have cables situated like this??Name:  IMG_7119.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  34.6 KB

Last edited by yardnut; 08-14-17 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-17, 02:38 AM
Received 29 Votes on 22 Posts
What you have is typical. When any "services" are added to an existing home the installers look for the easiest and simplest method. If the cabling is no longer in use (be absolutely sure first) then cut and remove it. Understand that while you may no longer have service from the original installer it is not unknown to re-use existing cables for new services, including an old-fashioned antenna using cable that was previously installed for cable television service.

Old 08-17-17, 08:00 AM
Wow I am surprised that anyone would do this. Especially knowing that critters look for every access possible. I am going to have them cut the cox cable line - for sure. And they will need to caulk around all the rest.

Old 08-17-17, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Wow I am surprised that anyone would do this.
That's actually pretty neat. You haven't seen real hack jobs.
Those installers are paid by the installation so any shortcut available is taken.

Old 08-21-17, 10:27 AM
I am slowly learning that I cannot trust any service provider. Really pisses me off to pay people and then having to go behind them to check everything myself. It's getting to the point where you have to stand over them to make sure they don't screw up.