Exposed ceiling on finished basement any good?

Old 08-27-17, 06:55 AM
Exposed ceiling on finished basement any good?

Lets say exterior walls and floor have been finished. Is it alright to leave the ceiling unfinished?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-17, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't see why not. It helps for access to valves & pipes.

Old 08-27-17, 07:13 AM
Upvotes Received: 68
Sure. in a prior house I painted the floor/ceiling joists black covering the ducts for an industrial look.

Old 08-27-17, 08:12 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
Sure. But if you don't like it a drop ceiling will still give you access to pipes and valves. Marq's idea is good but it will give a dark feeling to it. White will brighten it up. You could use colors and your imagination to make it look good.

How about our artsy members suggest ideas on how to paint a basement ceiling to make it look unique or homey or interesting. Just for fun, or crazy ideas, you could paint any pipes running in the area orange and label orange juice in and drain pipes outgoing. Rafters could be painted alternate colors for a psychedelic look. Blue with patches of white as clouds. Just thrown out ideas.

Old 08-27-17, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
IMO if you are going to paint/stain the ceiling - dark colors are best. It helps to hide the shadows and cracks in the ceiling. White more or less highlights all the nooks, crannys and cracks. A dark ceiling does require better lighting!

Old 08-28-17, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 38
I've heard some prefer black stain to paint but never tried it myself. Curious, did you do anything to the top of the sheetrock on the walls or just leave the exposed edges?

Old 08-28-17, 04:00 PM
Upvotes Received: 68
I installed a trim board, actually I think it was a painted rough cut 1x4 along the bottom of the joists all the way around the room.