Crawlspace to basement

Old 09-12-17, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawlspace to basement

We are about to buy a house which has crawlspace. Home is very cheap and needs big reno budget but still value is tremendous in our area. I was wondering of converting crawlspace to basement. The crawlspace walls looks like fieldstone or may be blocks.
I was wondering what type of excavation machine will be useful and if renting conveyor would be more helpful. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
PS. I thought about raising couple of feet and also going down. Don't know which one will be cheaper.
Thanks,
S2k

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-17, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Get some contractors to bid the job before you buy; I think you'll find it's a lot more expensive than you're anticipating.

Old 09-12-17, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
It's a big job and there usually are not excavators that can go work in a crawl space. So, you get underneath and dig manually or you have the house lifted so you can work underneath. Personally I would not consider building a basement under a house with a field stone foundation. If you've got the budget I would raise or move the house then have a basement & foundation constructed and set the house back in place.

Old 09-18-17, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You guys are correct. All the contractors suggested to raise and build a new basement. Thank you very much for guidance.