Modify Garage Truss

Old 09-15-17, 05:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Modify Garage Truss

I have a question about modifying a garage roof truss. I know everyone says never cut a truss but my situation may be a little different. My trusses are 16" OC of 2x4 construction. I would like to use a little of the attic space for light storage. If I build another truss in place to the exact specs as the current ones and place it between two existing trusses so that I will have a 24" space between it and another truss, can I now cut the truss in between and frame for an attic door? Roof span is 26'. I see a reputable contractor in my neighborhood using the same trusses on a 24' span garage at 24" OC.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-17, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 665 Votes on 615 Posts
A couple thoughts.

Your reasoning may be correct, however no one here can put their blessing on your plan. First, you are correct, that trusses should not be modified *without the approval of the truss mfg or a structural engineer*. Secondly, nothing you would build would "equal the specs" of one of your existing trusses, since you are not a licenced, qualified, insured manufacturer whose products (and the grade of lumber used) have met all the criteria for the manufacture of trusses. However- a structural engineer could tell you exactly what you "could" do, and how to do it. You won't get that sort of qualified advice (free) from an armchair carpenter.

The reason you get the approval of the truss mfg, or a structural engineer is so that you have something in WRITING. Stamped and approved by someone who has the legal authority and who can assume liability for the repair. If not for an inspector (if the work is permitted) then for your peace of mind. Additionally, when the house is sold someday, your inspection will catch the alterations and that will raise red flags and could sink any potential sale... unless you have the approved paperwork to back up what was done.