Basement load bearing wall on concrete blocks

Old 10-03-17, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement load bearing wall on concrete blocks

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of renovating my basement and have come across a load bearing wall, but oddly enough it is built up on concrete blocks (see picture attached). This is something I have never seen so just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of thing? Mostly I was wondering if there would be a footing laid underneath this or does this act as the footing? I am looking at removing the wall but would like some information on this before I bring in an engineer.

Thank you

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-17, 09:07 PM
Welcome!

Not sure how to know 100% if there is a footing under them but I would have to assume that there would be since they are present. Are the blocks sitting on top of the slab or does it look like the slab is poured up against them?

Good call on the engineer. I'd just wait and let them check it out in person.

Last edited by kramttocs; 10-03-17 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Difficulty finding the right words.
Old 10-04-17, 03:26 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Ive never seen a "load bearing" wall in a house basement before but you never know.

Any other walls like that?

I suspect it was installed on the blocks by someone thinking it would get the wood off the floor to prevent a water situation.

Old 10-04-17, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
What is directly above that wall?

Old 10-04-17, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
I have load bearing walls in my basement so they do exist. The footings were poured integral with the floor so there is no visible indication that there is a footer underneath.

Old 10-04-17, 06:04 AM
thanks for the input everyone!! Above the wall is where the two 2x8 floor joists meet and are spliced, which is why I thought it was load bearing in the first place. Above that is my whole main floor and the load bearing wall that supports my roof.

Oddly enough I decided just to drill through my floor with a 3/16" bit and turns out I only have about 3.5" of concrete under those blocks so it looks like there were never any footings, which I find odd because I thought footings were required by code and the house was only built in the early 1980's. Anyway I guess I will see what the engineer says. Thanks for the help!!

Old 10-04-17, 11:42 AM
Let us know what the engineer comes back with and what the proposed plan is.