Basement "Extreme" Redo - Estimate?

Old 10-23-17, 01:38 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement "Extreme" Redo - Estimate?

Hello,

I was wondering...as long as it is allowed in my area (per local rules/laws)...is it possible to BOTH completely tear out the basement (walls/floor), dig it down deeper, and then pour/build new walls/floor in the basement without tearing down the rest of the house?

I am wondering because I am 5 ft 6 inches tall, and there are areas of my basement where even I have to duck to go through. And the walls are very old walls that do leak when it rains. It's one of those "dirty" basements that I only go down to do laundry...and I would like to finish the whole thing.

And if it is possible to do this...how do they do it? Do they jack the house up and then do it? I am so in the dark about how it would happen.

Thanks for any and all input!

Old 10-23-17, 02:18 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's possible. I know a woman who had it done. I don't believe that they jacked up the house but I'm sure that they used temporary columns, for support. If you have water entering the cellar, it has to be sealed from the outside somewhere along the line. I would do it as soon as the new floor is poured. I would also get an architect to draw plans & make sure that the contractor follows them.

Old 10-23-17, 02:40 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
As Donato said, get an architect to do your design. They will know local codes and requirements and even companies that do this type of work. You are talking major bucks, but in some locations expanding what you own is less expensive than buying new.

There may be other options but they depend upon the landscaping, available land, and any water issues.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: