Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Rotted truss/chord members in attic - help on what's going on and how to repair?

Rotted truss/chord members in attic - help on what's going on and how to repair?

Old 10-29-17, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Please excuse and feel free to correct if I don't use the proper terms here ;-)
We bought our house at the beginning of the year. Prior to us owning it (probably many years back), there was a water leak - evidenced by a spot on the roof and also, more importantly, rotted truss/chord members in the attic. A structural engineer looked at it back when we bought the house and said it was an easy fix to 'sister' some wood to the rotted pieces for support.

SO I am looking for advice on how to do this, and also confirmation that this isn't a major issue. I can't tell if it has gotten worse or not in the last 10 months because the pics I have from back then are not good. The wood is black and rotted in parts, there is one top chord that has rotted away from the nail plate that attached it to the bottom chord. Also the wood along the back (edge of the roof/attic..don't know the term for this) has rotted in that spot too.

Hopefully the pictures can better explain the situation, any advice on remedies is much appreciated!
Also wondering what IS the black..rot? Mold? Do I have to worry about it spreading ?

Name:  roof1.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  roof2.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  roof3.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  roof4.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  55.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-29-17 at 12:22 PM. Reason: reoriented, cropped, enhanced pics
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-17, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can sister the rotted pieces but I would use some Kilz on the black sections first.

Old 10-29-17, 06:16 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
It appears a repair has already been attempted as evidenced by the non-blackened roof sheathing and the long nails exposed near the truss in the picture. I assume the long nails were an attempt to reach a good section of the trussís upper rail. Unfortunately they missed the truss completely. If the leak is not fixed, I would work on the outside of the roof to fix the leak. Included would be to remove the shingles and roof sheathing in the area of the damaged truss, scab pieces to both sides of the trussís top rail (to support the roof sheathing), sheath and shingle, The scab pieces would be 1 inch plywood, triangular shaped that go from the top of the trussís top rail to the bottom of the trussís bottom rail and the base long enough to attach (nail) the plywood including a good portion of the top rail. This provides vertical support to the trussís top rail in the damaged area. Next cut 2 pieces of wood (similar size to the existing trussís top rail) with a length equal to the triangle pieces long side. Make a sandwich using these 2 pieces as the bread and the trussís top rail and plywood pieces as the filling. Hold the sandwich together by drilling a tight clearance hole and using a bolt and nut in 2-3 places. This provides support and a nailing surface for the sheathing.
If the leak is fixed, I would do the sandwich except from below the roof. You will not be able to nail the sheathing to the sandwich.