Wet to dry basement miracle?

Old 10-31-17, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet to dry basement miracle?

Hi all, so our sump pump have been running probably every 30-60 minutes pumping out water in the basement for years. A weird thing happened this summer. We were on vacation and the sump pump broke and when we got back there were about 1-2 feet of water flooding our basement. After that incident the sump pump hasn't been working meaning it doesn't need to pump out water any more. When we had an outage we had to hook up the sump pump to a generator but yesterday the outage lasted a whole day with pouring rain and there was no need to hook it up. I am thinking we can even get rid of the sump pump all together which of course we wont! Has anybody experienced something similar, or if you know what has happened? If anybody can diagnose this, this can probably help many people who are having wet basement problems. The water level doesn't rise where the sump pump is now it is very low and thinking of all that electric bill we were spending on the pump constantly pumping out water and 1 flood fixed it all? Winter is coming and this will be the first winter since the basement got fixed? (broken?) and it becomes below temperature here so maybe it will start pumping after that but as of now our basement is very dry. Does anybody have any idea why this occurred?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-17, 06:40 AM
Of course you can take your chance and try flooding your basement to fix it lol But seriously this has been so absurd and so freeing thinking we don't have to deal with a wet basement. We were considering purchasing a backup battery sump pump after the flood. We have no idea when the sump pump broke so the flood may have been for days or a few hours. But if this fixed it I wish we had flooded our basement YEARS ago! This occurred in June so it has been almost 5 months from sump pump constantly running to zero.

Old 10-31-17, 07:02 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Ground water can change levels or direction just like rivers. But as you said, keep the sump pump as it can change back at any time. The heavy inundation of water may have cut a different channel underground and yes, I've seen it happen, both ways.

And NO, flooding one's basement is not a good way to fix a wet basement. Remember, it could make things worse.

Bud

Old 10-31-17, 07:15 AM
Ahhh, I was also thinking some how the flooded water pressurized the channeling/direction etc and the water doesn't come in any more. You're right, I guess it can happen the other way around and make it worse for some people. But then that means there should be a way to manually do this? I have no idea but if there IS a company who specializes in doing something of the sort I wish they would advertise it more. Or would that be a major project and would cost a fortune? I hope the water will stay this way for us, we'll have to wait and see...

Old 10-31-17, 08:13 AM
Yep - called french or curtain drains. Gives the water an easier channel that directs it away from the house

Old 10-31-17, 08:30 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Yes, there certainly are people who claim they can find and divert underground water, but I'm not a believer in the forked stick followers, dowsers. Google dowsing. I've heard stories, but I'm still skeptical.

Bud