Basement slab relief cuts to deep

Old 12-15-17, 08:47 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement slab relief cuts to deep

We just had a home built as i was walking around the basement i noticed the relief cuts on our basement floor seemed awfully deep. I installed a vapor barrier prior to the pour so i grabbed a flashlight and an o ring pick. To my suprise the control joints are cut clean through the slab in several areas and damn near through the rest of it. Most of the cuts are 3.5+" if not all the way through the slab. I can even see my vapor barrier ripped from these cuts in several spots. My question is why. Not stop at an inch like i did years ago when i did flat work. Whats the point of my vapor barrier now? Does this cause any future issues? Thanks for the time!

Old 12-15-17, 11:23 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Not good. Both the vapor barrier and any future installation of a radon system are not essentially toast. Some of the concrete pros may be able to suggest a sealer that could be injected into all cuts, but I'm with you, I'd be ticked.

Let's see what the pros have for suggestions.

Note, the Ohio radon map shows high levels over most of the state.

Bud

Old 12-15-17, 04:35 PM
T
Kinda what i am thinking. Granted the vapor barrier is better than nothing despite a few cuts going all the way through. Anyone else?

Old 12-15-17, 05:07 PM
I think there are only a few concrete pros on the site, so an answer might take awhile. I live in California and slab problems come up often.
On a new house I would go directly to the builder and have it fixed no matter what it takes.

I've seen homeowners that had to sue because of improper drainage and such.

Old 12-15-17, 05:17 PM
T
I mean the joints are designed to crack underneath. Its really no difference and my interior/exterior footer tile should handle the water as intended. I dont for see water issues through relief cuts. Im just mad it made my vapor barrier seem pointless...
The only difference is these cuts are saw width vs a hairline crack as they would be if you know what i mean

Old 12-15-17, 05:21 PM
I just used water problems as an example around here. No matter the problem (radon) the builder is responsible for fixing the problem, at least around here.
They messed up IMO.

Old 12-16-17, 05:17 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A slab inside the basement walls may not have used any rebar and if it did they cut through it, that was a big machine to cut 4" deep. But, controlling the direction of expected cracks is one thing, cutting all the way through increases the possibility that slab sections may shift creating a trip hazard.

As for radon, you have it and you cannot install a control system until all of those cuts are sealed. You may not care but any future buyer will want a radon system. Not sure about your codes but a passive system should have been installed so it is in place once the testing is complete.

As a compromise to removing and replacing that floor you could insist the builder seal all cracks and install a radon mitigation system. Also, he should set aside a chunk of money to cover other problems for 2 or 3 years, perhaps the amount that would be needed to replace the slab.

Bud

Old 12-16-17, 05:24 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Must be a regional thing, have built over a dozen homes and have never cut a basement, nor has anyone ever inquired/asked.

Old 12-16-17, 11:50 AM
T
Ok upon furher digging my estimates were wrong. I tried scrapig a big majority of the cuts out clearing dust etc. the majority is cut 1-1.5" deep but near support poles and walls it is cut through. Im guessinf they cut deeper in those locations to get the cut closer to them. I know remember myself having to angle the saw and plunge a bit deeper to get closer to 90 degree objects! I did this over a decade ago so rough memory here. I do have 2 sealed vented crocks in my basement one is a sump pit the other is a bathroom crock/pump

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: