A strange smell in my attic.....

Old 05-09-01, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

For a couple of years now this rather potent smell seems to be in an isolated area of my attic. It mostly occurs in the evenings and only during colder parts of the year. I have a hunch that moister levels are contributing to my problem as well since it seems to be the worst after a rain. I discovered it for the first time when we were in the middle of snowey weather. I have had plumbers out to check the problem because the smell resembles something like raw sewage. They have no suggestions other than it may be the traps are drying out. I know that is not it because the bathroom does not smell. The smell will sometimes be apparent in the downstairs, or middle floor, room below the attic space. I can sometimes smell it outside in my back yard as well. The house is located about 75 yards or so from a small creek. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Could this be a problem with my septic lines? Other suggestions have been that a vent pipe for the plumbing system may has been punctured and is leaking the smell. I would think I could smell something during the summer as well if this were the case. If anyone has any idea what is going on I would appreciate your suggestions.

Much Thanks!

Harley Hanson

Old 05-10-01, 02:45 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Harley,

I'd bet on a problem with one of your vent pipes. Since you have a pretty good idea where the odor is, look to see if you can find a vent pipe in that area.

Easiest way to check is have someone run a garden hose with a spray nozzle down the vent, and you watch for "leaks" from within the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: