Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Attic Access - unique size - too large for standard ladders - reduce size?

Old 02-02-18, 07:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Greetings Forum,

I'm looking to replace my oversized, approx. 54 x 28, attic access panel and ladder. I thought this would be a relatively easy fix, but I've found no replacement ladder at the 28" width. Most are 22.5" or 25". Some are 30". And the designs don't seem to accommodate adjustment to a unique size.

I suppose I could WIDEN my panel to 30", but I'm taking on this project to replace a old ladder with massive air gaps. I'd prefer to reduce the size to 25", but I don't know how to do so safely and energy efficiently.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-18, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Well, reducing it to 25" would be very easy, assuming 28 is your rough opening size as you measure between the joists. You would glue (PL400) and screw a 2x6 (or whatever size your joists are) onto each side of your existing opening to make the RO the right size. (25x54)

I would recommend the Werner Aluminum AH series.

Old 02-02-18, 07:56 AM
C
Thanks - maybe it is just that easy. Thoughts on concealing the now-exposed new ceiling? I could use really wide casing, but I'm concerned about energy efficiency. I'd prefer to not have to patch-up the ceiling, if possible.

Old 02-02-18, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
1x4 trim, pocket screwed together like a face frame, then applied to the ceiling. You will be insulating the perimeter of the attic door with door and window foam. And the PL400 behind the 2x6s you add will prevent any air infiltration. I don't know what there is to be concerned about. 'Course I don't know how wide your trim is currently. It will just need to be 1 1/2" wider than it currently is in order to cover.

Old 02-02-18, 08:50 AM
C
Makes sense. So face frame PLUS trim? I would think it would be an either/or? Or, are you suggesting use 1 x 4's to create a clean frame surround? Thanks again

Old 02-02-18, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Use 1x4 or whatever size flat stock it takes to cover your old paint lines to create a clean frame and use it instead of a moulded casing. The trim would need to overlap onto the attic door jamb, but still leave about 1/8" - 1/4" of space around the perimeter of the trap door.

Old 02-02-18, 12:02 PM
C
Excellent. Can't thank you enough - this seems very straightforward. Appreciate it.

Last edited by CSPierce; 02-02-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-02-18, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
It's often best to have 2 people install those. I like to get the stair up in the attic then put some 2x4s across the ceiling. Drop it in, shim the perimeter and screw it in. Then have the person below remove the 2x4s, open the hatch, and put up a ladder so you can climb down. Then it's just a matter of determining the angle and cutting the stringers to length. Don't cut them too short!