Insulation/Framing after Waterproofing

Old 07-25-18, 08:50 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulation/Framing after Waterproofing

Hello, I recently had a company come out and "waterproof" or water mitigate...my basement, they sprayed for mold, trenched down for a french drain, drilled weep holes around the perimiter and installed new sump pump, they also installed a ventilation system called EZ Breathe which moves bad air out. They lined the walls with some sort of plastic membrane (Vapor Barrier) and a dimpled sheet at the bottom as seen in this photo:

My question is, can i put up rigged foam board against this membrane/plastic prior to framing...can i frame directly over top the membrane? I believe the membrane is a vapor barrier called Vaporbright which is a multi-ply nylon weave and polymer laminate.

I was planning on going out and buying an R-10 rated foam board to fill the Rim Joists and then place on top of the rest of the membrane.

After searching for similar issues on these forums i believe what im looking to do is essentially what is being described as "Option 1" here: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...-basement.html

Last edited by Kevin Danko; 07-25-18 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-18, 03:03 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
when you place your sole plate, use tapcons & adhesive as only the Lord knows thickness of replacement conc,,, many cheat & put back 2 or 3" instead of matching existing floor thickness,,, we leave 3" behind the stud wall for air circulation via fans,,, block basement walls ?

Old 08-06-18, 07:44 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, block walls behind the vapor barrier.

Here's a before picture:

I know before i do much else i need to get the Egress window added - a contractor quoted me 5k to do that but im gonna shop around.
For the insulation, code in my area says to use R10 or R13
Ultimately Only Half of the Basement Will be Finished, my goal can be seen here: