Removing drylok, reprinting clay tile foundation

Old 10-10-18, 09:25 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing drylok, repointing clay tile foundation

Just bought a 1928 bungalow with a messy basement. It has clay tile foundation that the previous owner painted drylok over on the inside. Were in for a bit of work, because the drylok is peeling off and there are some areas of mold. We are planning on sheeting off the basement, going to town with a grinder and paint scraper while basically wearing hazmat suits, and installing a dehumidifier.

Questions:
Best way to kill mold? Bleach? TSP? Is a fan out the basement window good enough or how long do we have to worry about mold spores invading the rest of the house after our project?

Any advice on repointing clay tile foundation? I found some info on brick foundation, which is the closest to what we have.

If anyone has any pointers on how to make this dirty job easier, itd be appreciated. We dont have money to hire people.
Thanks

Last edited by Pwitty; 10-10-18 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-18, 11:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Plain old chlorine bleach is very effective at killing mold. And, it's readily available and inexpensive.

Mold can grow anytime the humidity is above about 50%. So while fans can help if the humidity is above 50% mold can still grow even with the air moving. A dehumidifier is the most practical and reliable way to bring down the humidity.

Old 10-11-18, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
Before you go to enclose those walls you need to address the moisture problem! That is always best done from the exterior. I would not cover up the interior foundation wall until I was convinced the wall would stay dry.