heating new bathroom in basement

Old 10-29-18, 06:28 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heating new bathroom in basement

My basement is finished with a family room and a bedroom, I am currently adding a small three piece bathroom down there. I've been debating on the best option to heat it. My main heat source is hydronic heat, there is currently a zone that connects to a register in the family room and a register in the bedroom. I also have a heat pump and a coal stove in my basement that is tied into my duct work.

I use my heat pump in the milder months, then coal the rest of the time. My options are to
1. Tie it into the basement zone of my hydronic heat via a radiator or maybe a convection fan.
2. Add an electric wall mount heater with a thermostat.
3. Add an underfloor electric mat with thermostat.

I'm leaning more towards electric heat of some sort since my main heat source now and for the foreseeable future is coal. Also the bathroom won't get used a lot and I don't want to waste money heating it to a higher temp if were not using it. An electric heater would be ideal since I could bump up the thermostat and get it warmed up fairly quick if I want to use the room.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-18, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
My vote is electric heat... and use it only when you need it. Probably more important than the heat is the bath fan. Put it on a timer switch.

Old 10-29-18, 07:34 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bath fan is going on the switch with the light, I know to turn the fan on when showering and such, but I don't trust anyone else. So safe bet is light on, then the fan is on as well and doesn't get overlook.

Old 10-29-18, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Fans should run for around 30 minutes after showers... not just while someone is in the bathroom, which is why a timer would work best... and is why I mentioned it.