Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Wall in basement directly below patio showing water stains after rain

Old 11-05-18, 03:26 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
We have a patio slab behind the house and the basement wall directly below it is getting water stains when it rains.. The patio is sloped away from the house and has been mudjacked by the previous owner. The drain tile directly below the wall has been redone when we first bought the house because we got water in the same area when we lost power and drain tiles backed up, but the water came up from the floor where it meets the walll. We haven’t had a power outage since, it’s been more than 2 years. What could be the issue? We've been here for little over 2 years and it just started happening. Sump pump works. Thanks for any advice!

Attached Images   
Old 11-05-18, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Concrete is porous and it absorbs water easily. The concrete blocks are also hollow, so its entirely possible that they could be taking on / holding ground water.

You didn't post any pictures of the exterior, and the type of siding could be a factor. Patio doors also need to be set on (installed on top of) a heavy bead of sealant. That sealant could fail and allow water under the door. The bottom edge of the rough opening also needs to be flashed (also done before the door is installed), so if that was missed it could be that the wood has now rotted to the point that it is letting water down the block more easily than before. No way for us to know without doing soem serious poking around or possibly without taking the door out.

Caulking the bottom of the door and the expansion joint between the pad and the foundation might be a possible solution but I have no idea what it currently looks like. Removing the siding and adding some flashing tape over the nail fin (assuming there is one) might also be advisable.

Old 11-06-18, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Locally below grade block are filled with concrete .... but it can still let water pass thru.
Is there a working gutter above the patio?

Old 11-06-18, 04:11 PM
M
some pics of outside

here's some photos of the outside. Hopefully this helps a little... When it rains, at least the first foot and a half of the patio floor is always dry, meaning water moves away from the house...

Attached Images      
Old 11-06-18, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
First thing I would do is caulk those giant joints on the patio. But I suspect your gutter is overflowing in a heavy rain... especially with that upper downspout not dumping directly into the gutter.

Old 11-07-18, 08:28 AM
M
Xsleeper- they look giant, but actually aren’t, maybe 1/2 inch, they always fill up with my dogs hair. Are those meant to be caulked and is there a reason they weren’t when it was poured? The previous owner took pristine care of the house so I’m just wondering why he wouldn’t caulk it. Also the gutter does pour over from the corner only when the rain is extreme heavy

Old 11-07-18, 08:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Chances are those expansion joints/reliefs are cracked and water gets to the soil.

Easy fix to use self leveling sealer to keep water away!

Old 11-07-18, 12:49 PM
M
Marq1 they are cracked, all the way through. I was wondering that too but figured theyre not caulked because it wouldn’t look as appealing.... which sealant do you guys recommend?

Old 11-07-18, 12:59 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
A product such as this would do the job: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-07-18, 05:18 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So being a patio and wanting it to look the nicest, what I did on my driveway the first time was put down 2" wide masking tape on each side of the joint, fill and then use a piece of cardboard to smooth and scrape away excess.

Wait about 10 min then peel up the take and it's a very neat filled joint.

Also, fill the joints with sand to 1/2" deep otherwise the sealant will just drain away if there are large voids!

After about 4 times of having to redo my drive I just fill and let it go where ever, not as neet but have given up trying to make it look perfect!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: