Mud in basement wall??

Old 11-15-18, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mud in basement wall??

So just recently purchased a house and saw a bit of rot at bottom of the basement bathroom door. I started picking at it, and it turned into very bad rot.

The wall the damage is on is the front end of the house, and there is a window pretty much right above the damage where the flashing on the window installed incorrectly, resulting in it angled inward toward the window, so that is my likely culprit. The thing that has me confused is that there is a lot of mud i am pulling out of the wall that appears to be flowing down the studs from above. It has been raining a lot lately and itís extremely wet right now. Iím just worried that the mud is a result of a cracked or hole in the foundation. Hopefully itís possible it is residual dirt but not sure why there would be dirt on this side of the foundation.

Appreciate any help or suggestions!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jag...Washington,_MD

Last edited by Cantari; 11-15-18 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Update images
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-18, 11:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
I think it's time to start digging (outside) and see what you actually have going on.

Old 11-16-18, 02:41 AM
Received 142 Votes on 132 Posts
a bit of rot at bottom of the basement bathroom door
So at the surface you see an issue, the next question is what is behind that wall?

This is a basement, it's finished, do you have access to the foundation wall, maybe through the ceiling?

Something needs to be opened up to see what is going on inside the foundation to determine what the next step should be!

Old 11-16-18, 03:22 AM
Thanks. Yah Iíll tear into the wall more when I have time. Just really worried the foundation is cracked it has a hole. Should i be worried about these studs (that are disintegrated and not even touching the sill plate) are load bearing? They are right up against the foundation.

I just took a look before heading out to work, and it looks like somebody before cut the sill plate out of this specific spot and never fixed it. I hope i can take some sort of action against seller on this being a known non-disclosed issue.

Last edited by Cantari; 11-16-18 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
What is above that wall? pics of the outside wall and showing the roof could be helpful.
btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-16-18, 03:53 AM
Thanks Mark. Thereís another bathroom right above that and itís against the front of the house. Then in the bathroom above thereís a window that isnít flashed correctly. I can take more pictures when i get home. The roof was new last year but i guess that doesnít mean shotty work could have been done. Just that mud is perplexing me.

Old 11-16-18, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
You'd need to know what direction the floor joists run for the floor above to be able to determine if that wall is load bearing along with how the roof is pitched.

Are you sure it's mud you are seeing or could it just be completely decayed wood?

Old 11-16-18, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
If there is rot, it's likely from water. You say it's very wet. If there is water, it's from an outside source, either runoff or groundwater... that water gets there via the soil. Flowing water will bring sediment. In view of the foregoing, some mud is not surprising. I'm not sure why this confuses you. It's obviously not clean water coming out of a tap. Groundwater pressure often brings sediment up from the ground through any crack or hole.

Termites are another possibility, but it's more likely just years of sediment and decay.

Old 11-16-18, 05:52 AM
Appreciate the responses.

Mark, the floor joists butt up against this wall perpendicular, so i guess the floor joists may rest on the top plate of this wall? Unless they rest on the top of the foundation instead? I need to look more. I was also curious if that mud was actually wood rotted so bad it detiorated but it sure looks and feels like mud.

Sleeper, the reason I am confused by the mud is I think I found that water may be coming in through the window sill, which if that is the case, there would be no path where the water passes by dirt to bring in the mud, nor on my initial scratch of the surface at the outside foundation did I see evidence of water seeping in. So perhaps there is a crack or hole in the foundation allowing this mud/dirt in, but I certainly hope not.

Last edited by Cantari; 11-16-18 at 07:21 AM.