Adding windows to basement

Old 12-04-18, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Adding windows to basement

I'm considering adding a couple windows in the basement (10" thick poured concrete). Are the new windows required to provide egress? I'd prefer a shorter window, but obviously want to adhere to code. There are no bedrooms in the basement, but there is a den. I don't plan on converting the den to a bedroom, but I suppose it would be nice to have egress if I ever decided to.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-18, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
As far as I know the egress code only applies to bedrooms. You realize that a poured foundation wall will have a good bit of steel in it.

Old 12-04-18, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 183 Posts
If there are no bedrooms your windows do not have to be sized for egress. So, the size is up to your preference. Just for future sake I would consider making the windows egress size just in case you ever change your mind in the future and decide to put a bedroom down there.

If your wall is 10" thick I would start looking for someone who cuts concrete. You can do it yourself but it will be a dusty, wet, muddy, noisy and time consuming job. A pro with the right tools should be able to cut out a window opening in a hour or two.