Basement laundry area

Old 12-05-18, 01:07 PM
Basement laundry area

I'm starting a project to insulate and frame my basement walls... 2" rigid foam board, 2x4 walls 16oc w m&m sheetrock. I'm starting with this 8' laundry area, since it's problematic. The pic shows the copper lines on the left going down the wall. I'd like to have an outlet box in the sheetrock for the washer connections.

How would you manage the existing water lines? I know the outlet box is fed from the bottom, so that's an issue, and the other is the fact that the lines are screwed to the wall, so I'd have to insulate around them if I left them intact. I could cut the lines up near the ceiling and maybe run PEX down and under the box when it's installed? or what else? appreciate ideas.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-18, 01:11 PM
You could consider leaving that back wall unfinished and build a wall with bi-fold doors around the laundry area (front and right side).

Last edited by mossman; 12-05-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 05:46 PM
Not sure what the problem is. Cut the water lines and solder or use shark bite fittings to transition the water lines to pex or CPVC than into a wall box with valves for a washer. Run the drain line in the wall and into the washer box. Place a junction box with a blank cover on a 2x on the wall then run the washer plug to the location you need. The washer area is 8ft. Use 2x6 for that section of the wall to give you room to insulate and run your utilities.
Your walls are being built to hide the insulation and clean it up with sheet rock. Space your 2x4 s or 6 s at 24 oc to save on framing cost and time spent cutting foam board and 2x s.
If you can, the washer drain should be a 2" pipe.