Basement control lines

Old 12-19-18, 08:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement control lines

So I tore up some old carpet in my basement and the “control lines”, I believe that’s what they are called, are filled in with some white colored material. It is hard, but doesn’t appear to be a self leveling of any kind. It is cracked in some areas so I’ve decided to remove all of it from the control lines and fill with something else, so it is more smooth and level.

My question is, what do I fill the control lines with? Should I use a self leveling compound that I pour in the lines, some sort of gap filler that comes in a tube like caulk? I should note that I am going to carpet over top.

Note: I live in Colorado and my basement has never appeared to have gotten any water or moisture.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-18, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
You don't have to put anything in the cracks or control joints. There are sealants made especially for expansion and control joints. But, since nothing is needed in the joints you can use about anything you want from nothing to silicone caulk, acrylic caulk...

Old 12-19-18, 10:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was worried if I didn’t put anything in the control joints and just put pad down and then carpet, you would feel the control joints when you walked around.

Old 12-19-18, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
You can fill them in if you are concerned. If you want the joints to be hard/solid like the floor you could fill with mortar or thinset mortar. That would be easy to trowel into the joints and scrape to get a smooth, flush finish. It won't affect the function of the control joints.