Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Low ceiling with sloping concrete and an idea...?

Low ceiling with sloping concrete and an idea...?

Old 01-12-19, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Low ceiling with sloping concrete and an idea...?

Hey everyone! First time poster, lots of projects and ideas, but here goes this one.

This is a 1950's one story house in a Chicago suburb with a 7' basement, and about a 25'x~30' basement footprint. Nearest one foundation wall from bare concrete the ceiling height is about 6' 8.5" high sloping down to about 7' over ~10' and continues at a 7' height most everywhere else. The basement is then slightly rolled towards a floor drain.

So it's about a 3.5" - 4" slope over about 10'

I'm looking to conserve as much headroom as I can and reduce this drastic slope. With my HVAC vents also taking up a good portion of headspace in this area (looking into doing something about that as well, no ideas yet...) You'd feel the lean with a finished floor. I thought about sleepers (best idea, but dramatic loss of headroom losing ~4"-5" after flooring) So bringing up to an even grade seems to be a non starter at this point... Looked into scarfacing and grinding the floor, but 2 inches seems like a lot to remove in that fashion, I could be wrong??

The Idea: With all my armchair research, I've come across one possible idea that was crazy enough to work... I have access to a 14" partner saw (wet) and a hammer drill... The slab is about 5" deep nearest the foundation and around 4" thereafter. The idea was to saw cut at a tapering depth (according to slope of floor) of long ~2" deep channels spaced every 2" and a crossing cut to square them up. Then follow up with the chipping gun to knock them out and reduce the slope. For the finish I'm not overly concerned with as I am planning to do a subfloor as a thermal barrier from the concrete.

The condition of the concrete is solid, with barely a hairline crack. Assuming that tells me that the ground is stable, I won't be exposing the floor to any heavy loads in this area, is this a viable means of drastic floor leveling??

-------------------------------

Backstory: Bought the house in February last year. The basement didn't leak according to seller (He bought it, fixed it up, and sold it), of course with in 3 months (spring thaw) the basement leaked! That expedited the basement project, as no one likes mold.

After the demo and no visible cracks or poor foundation, I could tell it came from this one point on the wall, about an inch above the cove joint but didn't know why.. I have a sump pump on the other side of the basement, so I chipped out an exploratory hole in the floor at the leak to find the drain tile so the leak could drain into that for the time being. I did some research and it's a clay weeping tile system (turned a clay pipe into one with a sunroof).

Here's the strangest part, while I was down by the hole I looked at the leak area and noticed what looked like a rusty nail from the forms... I thought I found the cause! Took my pick hammer to tap it and it was WOOD! A 1"x2" chunk of wood going all the way to dirt! I picked it out and now the water comes in at a decent pace into the drain tile when it rains. Companies want to charge their minimum fee of ~$700, so I bought a polyurethane injection kit for ~$110 over the epoxy ones so it expands and fills the hole better as it's non structural and a non expanding crack/hole. Fun times.

Sponsored Links