Basement Window

Old 02-17-19, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Window

I am just commencing finishing my unfinished basement. I am planning on placing 2" of rigid insulation between the concrete and the framing. I am thinking of doing a simple drywall return but I might end up with a wood sill at the bottom. The attached picture shows the window and frame. Where would I bring in my drywall return? I wouldn't think I should attach the drywall directly to the frame, should I use treated plywood against the frame and then attach the drywall to the plywood? What about moisture? To make it a little more complicated there is a gap between the window and the frame that can be seen in the picture about 1/4 of the way up. How do I seal this gap that will stay sealed long term? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Name:  20190216_215910.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  68.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-17-19 at 06:36 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-19, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 182 Posts
I'd say it should butt right up to and cover up the perimeter of the window itself. Caulknthe window perimeter first to make sure no cold air is coming around it. You can use a vinyl drywall j channel where your raw drywall edge meets the window and caulk the joint where they meet. Looks like you might need to add some filler strips on all those stairs steps to get a square corner first.

Old 02-17-19, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. What material would you use for the filler strips? Also, should I try to fill in the gap between the window and the frame with caulking or with spray foam? The frame is bent here to where you can see right through to outside.

Old 02-17-19, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know what's behind the aluminum. You could conceivably pull all that aluminum off and find out. Might be easier to shim out once the aluminum capping is gone.

Old 02-17-19, 06:24 PM
I partially pulled off one of the aluminum caps. There was nothing behind it but cobwebs. Once I cleaned out the cobwebs I took the attached picture. You can see how bent the frame is there and the space in the window to outside. I am thinking I might have to do something outside as well. I also took a picture from outside the window if that helps.

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  p2.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  68.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-17-19 at 06:38 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 02-17-19, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
The reason I would pull the aluminum completely off the interior is so that you would hopefully have a flat surface to anchor wood to. Once the wood is anchored, you can dd foam and/or screw the drywall to it. You clearly need to insulate the perimeter of the window with low expansion spray foam.

Old 02-17-19, 07:23 PM
Thanks XSleeper. This should work.