Enclose well pump lines under mobile home

Old 03-06-19, 06:23 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
Enclose well pump lines under mobile home

My daughter has a small mess of lines under her mobile home. The well line comes up to other lines and tees off, all of which hangs down halfway to the ground. The good thing about her home is the underside is high enough for you to stand up. These water lines often freeze, even with heat tape, prob because it is not properly applied. About 15-20 ft from the well entrance, they go into the underpan of the trailer. For those familiar with the undersides of a mobile home, it is old and could use a replacement, but that is too much work and cost.
My hope is that I can use a tube or the like that I can run the water lines, heat tape and wrap them properly, and attach it to the ceiling of the underside so it's out of the way. I'm thinking that having the pipes in a contained tube will further protect it from freezing in Maine. Anyone tackle such a project? What type of tubing would be easy to run the pipes in? I thought drainage pipe would be too narrow, and maybe sonnotube may work, since it would have enough space to insulate it some on the inside?
Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Does the MH have underpinning? Here in tenn the wind chill is a big factor with MH plumbing. Heat tape should work if installed correctly and kept plugged in.

Old 03-06-19, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
The first step is to make sure there is good skirting all around the home. This skirting should be solid and well sealed. Go under the home and anywhere you see daylight it needs to be sealed.

I don't run piping through another pipe because it's surprisingly difficult to do. I would bundle the water lines together as best you can. Install the heat tape. Then insulate the snot out of it.

For individual lines I start with the pipe insulation foam noodles. Don't rely on the adhesive strip on the foam as I've had that fail numerous times. Wrap the insulation with something like electrical tape. Then go over it with another layer of insulation. I buy fiberglass in rolls. It's about 4" wide and 1/4" thick. I go over the pipe with several layers of fiberglass and very lightly spiral wrap electrical tape around it to hold it in place. Do not wrap the tape too tightly as it will compress the insulation and hurt it's insulating value. Then I loosely cover it all with plastic sheeting to further prevent air movement.

Old 03-06-19, 04:39 PM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
good thoughts but I had to chuckle...NC and TN? we get days on end that don't go above zero, and that's not the overnight low. that's the killer for many... if you don't keep your main heat going, any deficiencies in heat tape, wrapping, skirting will get your pipes frozen overnight.

Old 03-07-19, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Climate change has been tough. In over twenty years we might get one night in the single digits. Then the past three winters we've had 3 or 5 days that never got above freezing and nights in the negative digits. Things here are not built for it and pipes were freezing all over the place. One night of really cold rarely causes problems. It's when we get a couple days below freezing. That cold eventually soaks through and is very good at finding water pipes.

Old 03-07-19, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Until I got my crawlspace tight enough and the pipes insulated well I always let a faucet dribble all night when the temps got down below a certain point.