Wet Basement questions and help....

Old 03-22-19, 04:26 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wet Basement questions and help....

I have a house built in 1965. The basement is not finished but when I moved in I did dryloked it and repainted the walls. When we get big rain storms of 2inches plus, I get water that comes in where the floor meets the wall. Mainly on the street side of the house, but it does come in on the west side and north side some as well. I am going to work on the landscaping and drainage of the downspouts some more this summer. All the down spouts are atleast 4ft away from the house and run away from the house. (I will post pics when I get home from work.)

Question is.....will a sump pump work in the one corner of the house w/o putting in a french drain? I was told by a couple people who have done this that they dug down about 2-3 feet. Put a 5 gallon bucket in the hole that had holes in it. Put a sump pump in the bucket and it fixed their issue. Does it keep the water table low enough by doing this? They also said to do this in the lowest corner of the home but not sure how to figure that out.

I have no interest in finishing the basement but I do have a pool table and huge are rug down there and a work bench area and laundry. I had to suck up water 4 times last year because it was such a wet year.

I will take pics when I get home. Hope someone can share some ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 04:57 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
A sump pump will help, but you must locate the end of the discharge pipe a good distance from the foundation. You want to locate the sump at a location where the water under the basement floor congregates first, which is almost impossible to determine. I would observe the basementfloor/foundation wall joint after a rain to see where the water first appears. Do this for 3-4 rainstorms. Hopefully this yields the best spot to locate the sump. You can cut the concrete by renting a concrete saw or impact drill (chiseling between holes). Usually the inside edge of the footing is inside the edge of the foundation wall so don't cut/drill too deep near the foundation wall.

Old 03-22-19, 05:12 AM
Ok...well last year it started in the the corner where I plan on putting the pump. Its the southwest corner which to me makes sense because most of our weather comes from the west. My cousin and uncle I plan on asking them to help cut the concrete. So when you said about the concrete footer, if I kept 3-4 inches from the wall(corner) I should be ok right? My uncle and or cousin will know.

About the drain....there is a drain between my house and my neighbors. It's technically my neighbors which goes out to the street I believe. In the past gets clogged with debris and I think is part of the cause. But I plan on running the pipe into that. I have a good relationship with the neighbors and I'm sure they won't mind. I just wanna save myself from sucking up 20-30 5 gallon full of shop vac'ed water. HAHA

Old 03-22-19, 06:00 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
I would be leery about connecting to you neighbor's drain. What happens if he or a new owner caps off your drain since it's his property or claims you are responsible for the blockage and must pay for the repair?

Old 03-22-19, 08:30 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Putting a sump pump in one corner is not going to guarantee that all the water around the house will be reduced without a perimeter drain pipe.

Old 03-23-19, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the help. I know it won't guarantee I won't have to run a shop vac for hours on end but just was hoping it would help a lot! LOL I don't wanna sink a lot of money into the basement but I am tired of water issues. It surely is frustrating. I went down this morning after getting rain thursday into friday I have a few small puddles and moisture next to the front wall like I explained above. (if pics will help I will go snap some) I guess with the frost still maybe in the ground and about 1.5 inches of rain? I don't know. Not even sure if we got that much.

About that drain that is in between property's. It doesn't go to the street. So it much go somewhere else? I can't think it would go to the sewer pipes cuz this area had everyone seal their drain pipes in the basement. I have one but it drains very very very slowly. I agree it is leery but was a possible idea. If not I guess I would just run the pipe out toward the sidewalk. I will have to research that.