Dusty basement

Old 04-23-19, 07:54 AM
Dusty basement

Hi all

So, my NJ basement has a dehumidifier running. Basically runs constantly in the summer

What I am noticing is that the basement is really dusty when the dehumidifier is running--really dusty. I am guessing due to the amount of air being moved around.

I know that option 1 will be to empty out the basement and deep clean the whole thing (unfinished, cement floor, but a TON of stuff down there)-- this is not something I am eager to dive into, particularly with my back issues

I am wondering if there is any benefit to a possible option 2-- either replacing the current dehumidifier with a HEPA filter equipped version-- or just buying an air filter and leaving it on down there.

My wife has been experiencing allergies ever since we moved into this house. We had the ducts cleaned to try to alleviate them, and it helped, but she still has some issues. I suspect the basement dust is being pulled into the ductwork. I also need to tape/mastic the joints down there.

Anyone have experience with this?
-K

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-19, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
I suspect the basement dust is being pulled into the ductwork.
If so, you would see it in the furnace filter. Have you thought about using the vacuum to gather up the dust?

Old 04-23-19, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
You've answered your own question. The real way to get rid of the dust is to clean. The only way you will get the dust under control is to remove it. You can remove it at the source by cleaning. Or, you can try air filters but they can only filter the air that passes through them so it will take a really long time to make a noticeable difference.

One thing you can consider is sealing or painting the floor. Sometimes bare concrete can generate dust. Sealing it will trap that dust and leave a slightly smoother, easier to clean surface.

Old 04-23-19, 12:31 PM
painting the floor might be a good idea, though I see a lot of dust falling from the (ceiling?) joists above--when people walk on the 1st floor.

I am also wondering if the dehumidifier is drawing in dust through the very old tilt in windows.

So, the air filter idea is a bad idea, basically?

I generally do not see much dust in the furnace filter (Merv 8 "Air Bear" style filter)

Old 04-23-19, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
I am also wondering if the dehumidifier is drawing in dust through the very old tilt in windows.
Not seeing how that could possibly be....