Priming back of purple board

Old 04-30-19, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Priming back of purple board

I'm planning to replace 8 sheets of paneling in the basement of a rural summer home with 1/2" purple board due to higher humid conditions. The back side of these 2 walls face an "L" shaped laundry/storage area currently has exposed studs. Need to keep it that way since there's a lot of shelving, cabinets, etc.

Main question is should the backside of the drywall be primed before it goes up? Someone suggested to leave the backside un-primed so it can "breathe".

Thanks in advance for your input.

Steverino

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-19, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
In a bathroom it might want to breathe (though I've never heard of it before) because you have a high moisture environment on one side and a relatively dry on the other side. In your basement the humidity should be about the same on both sides of the wall so I don't think painting the back would cause trouble.

Old 04-30-19, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
As long as the backside stays dry there is no reason to prime the back. If the foundation walls don't stay dry - the cause needs to be identified and fixed first!

Old 04-30-19, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Who paints the back side of drywall??? If it's mold resistant that's all you need. Paint is for looks.

Old 05-01-19, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
I think the back side of the sheetrock is exposed in a laundry/storage room. I assume they want to brighten and neaten the look a bit by painting.

Old 05-01-19, 05:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
If that is the case, there is nothing wrong with painting the backside - I'd paint the studs also.

Old 05-10-19, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Had a lot of trouble logging in recently or else I would have said "Thanks" for all the replies/input earlier.

Aside from a local friend who mentioned this "breathing thing" I've never heard of it either. There is an excess humidity problem which is being addressed A small dehumidifier just never cut it.

For now the conclusion is not to waste primer on the backside.

Thanks again.

Steverino