Large Basement Crack

Old 06-27-19, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Large Basement Crack

Hello,

I got a large crack in a poured foundation of an old home. Home is a 100 years old, but I can tell the area where the crack is was repaired maybe around 50 years ago if I had to guess.

There is no water intrusion or leaks. The crack is 2í long, some parts of it is 1/2Ē wide, some an inch wide. Going to a few inches wide in the opening of one section. But then the interior of the crack narrows to about 1/2Ē. The crack hasnít changed size for a long while.

Got some other hairline cracks that I was planning on epoxy injecting. Just wasnít sure with this large crack how to epoxy inject with the opening being large.

First thing I was planing on doing with the large crack is drilling some holes with a hammer drill going at a 45 degree angle. Creating a hole crossing both sides of crack, which then would get anchoring epoxy with rebar for structural strength.

After that part is done I may do like what this company below did with a large crack and use hydraulic cement to seal the opening for injection ports.

I do have some 2 part epoxy from Sika that can be used as surface seal, might also be able to mix with sand to give it higher viscosity, but I am leaning towards hydraulic cement to seal the surface of the crack before injection.

I'm not sure if regular injection ports can be used in that way with hydraulic cement. I don't think so as I believe the port would have to go deeper into the crack past the hydraulic cement to inject with epoxy.

Another thing I am unsure of which kind of high viscosity structural epoxy I would be need to use. Company in video below used an aggregate to mix up with the epoxy to thicken it. I don't think there's anyway I could do that because if I mix it all up I wouldn't have large empty caulk tubes to then inject it in the crack.

There is a concrete foundation close by me that sells epoxy kits and lets homeowners rent their large epoxy gun that holds the two tubes. So I'll be asking them if their highest viscosity epoxy would do the trick. I might be having to buy some epoxy though and could use advice on that.

Could use any advice and tips, it's much appreciated!

Some videos of a foundation company doing what I was planning on doing myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyV-WJvUtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ver4xOlJj0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhyCKiFw88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivV8oQ3_ps

My Pics. for some reason only the first pic is vertical:

Name:  IMG_0827.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0823.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  161.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0821.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0820.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0819.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0816.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  124.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-19, 06:26 PM
Here's a link with pics vertical

https://imgur.com/gallery/QSiUJOp

Old 06-27-19, 06:37 PM
Received 148 Votes on 137 Posts
How deep down below grade is the crack!

Hydraulic cement it poor repair material, any movement and it's toast!

If you can get to the outside to seal with basement barrier then any interior repairs are less critical!

Old 06-28-19, 11:23 AM
Its about 4 to 6 feet below grade.

The purpose of the hydraulic cement is to have something on the face of the crack to prevent the epoxy from just falling out of the crack.

I know I need to use epoxy, just trying to figure out how to prevent it from just falling right out when I object it. And what kind of high viscosity structural epoxy to use.

Old 06-28-19, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
Is that portion of the wall bowing inwards from an outside force or is the wall straight but just cracked in that area?

Old 06-28-19, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 290 Votes on 264 Posts
If you find the right guy, who uses the right product, epoxy injection will make it stronger than it was before. No drilling holes or anything. But the outside must also be excavated and the crack must be clean. Then they can inject the epoxy inside and outside.

Old 06-28-19, 04:11 PM
It is straight. Just cracked in that area.

Old 06-28-19, 04:17 PM
I may or may not hire somebody instead of trying to tackle it myself. Foundation company nearby does repairs but also sells epoxy injection kits to homeowners. Iíll probably pick their brain and see their thoughts on this.