garage floor needs help

Old 07-16-19, 07:32 PM
garage floor needs help

The garage floor in our single story 70 year old slab foundation house needs help. The garage is attached to the house.

We live in a very flat area. Just the normal cracking of an older slab garage.

We do't park our car in the garage simply because it's a small house. The garage has the washer, dryer, workshop, is hubby's smoking room, plus miscellaneous storage.

The concrete is ugly, has small cracks, etc. I'm searching for simple, inexpensive ways to make the flooring look better.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-19, 02:35 AM
Upvotes Received: 68
I'm searching for simple, inexpensive ways to make the flooring look better.
There's simple and inexpensive but they come with a cost, durability!

Epoxy coating is the best but it requires a clean surface and is usually ground prior to install.

Paint is an option but if you ever park a car on it the paint will likely pull up.

So in my opinion, the cheap method may haunt you and actually create a bigger mess, nothing looks worse than painted floors with big patches missing.

BTY, I love my epoxy floors and was worth every penny spent!!

Old 07-17-19, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
How bad do the cracks bother you? I doubt there is an inexpensive lasting way to fill the cracks where they won't look bad. A solid concrete stain usually holds up well and might be enough to clean it up for you. The cracks will still be visible.

Old 07-17-19, 03:48 AM
Upvotes Received: 40
BTY, I love my epoxy floors and was worth every penny spent!!
Marq, I also love my epoxied garage floor. I ended up getting a premium job that took 5 days to apply with a renewable 10 year warranty. Worth the nearly $3000 price tag.

To the OP...You don't need to spend three grand, but I suggest you get an epoxy floor and have it professionally done. Preparation is EVERYTHING and most people don't have knowledge or tools (including chemicals) to properly do it. You won't regret an epoxy floor. And it adds value to the home.

Edit....The only draw back is most people get a flec pattern, and if you drop a screw or small item on the floor it's gone forever. You'll never find it.

Old 07-17-19, 12:43 PM
Okay, looks like I will have to bite the bullet and go with spending a little more than I hoped for. Will probably go with the epoxy. We can afford it, just don't know if I want to spend the money, it's "just" the garage.

Old 07-17-19, 02:06 PM
Upvotes Received: 40
I thought the same thing. I don't use it as living space, and in winter I park the car in it. But I wish I had the money years ago. The only caution I will give you is you can't use it for auto repair (don't use jack stands or hydraulic jacks) or drop anything heavy. Since I'm past the point of doing heavy duty work in the garage I gave my hydraulic jack to my son-in-law. If you do do any work, use a plane colored low nape rug underfoot so if you drop anything like screws you can find them.

Old 07-17-19, 04:16 PM
Upvotes Received: 68
it's "just" the garage.
Just the garage? Mind you it is the third man cave, after the well you know, and the basement workshop.

My only regret is that our garage faces South and we have some fading of the epoxy due to summer sun.

We were use to leaving the doors open and once noticed some discoloration had occurred.