Basement finishing.... amateur to all of this.

Old 07-23-19, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement finishing.... amateur to all of this.

My wife and I moved into a newly built house last Spring with an unfinished basement. I am going to try to embark upon the journey of finishing it with following the plans left by the builder. I am fairly savvy when it comes to certain things but have never done anything like that. I'll also have my dad to help me from time to time. I've been doing a lot of research on framing (local codes, this site, etc) and have found a lot of good info. Before starting the framing process, I have some questions I'm looking for some answers to..I'll be relying on this forum for help through out this process so TIA!

1) Powder actuated nails or hammer drill/fasteners for bottom plate?

My basement is half under ground and the top half has already been framed/insulated with poly over the insulation. I'm thinking it would be easiest to frame the bottom half and have a ledge through out. If doing it that way...

2) I still use 2x4 to allow for electrical, etc, correct?
3) How do I go about fastening top plate or anywhere on the wall to the concrete wall?
4) Best way to insulate this lower half wall? Vapor barrier on which side of insulation?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-19, 03:16 AM
Received 141 Votes on 131 Posts
Similar to my daylight basement project a few years ago.

Many ways to attach bottom plate, I used tapcon screws and glue!

2x4's yes!

Bottom wall is built up above the existing wall then shimmed as needed to attach.

Lots of opinions regarding insulation, MUST RESOLVE any and all water issues!! IMO the foam options are oversold and regular fiberglass insulation will work fine but allow for some ventilation to the back side.

Old 07-23-19, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm leaning Tapcon due to already owning a hammer drill and 2 little ones at home. Is it basically then just a piece of sheetrock or treated lumber over the concrete ledge & top plate of the half wall then and that's it? The concrete only is about 1 1/2" out from the above framed wall up top. I was more curious along the lines of how I fasten the top of the frames half wall to the cinder blocks? Would simple batt insulation with a vapor barrier suffice in the framed half wall? Also, if using treated lumber as the bottom plate of my walls, do I need any sill foam? I've read so many differing opinions on that. Being as my house is only 18 months old, I've had no moisture issues and my sump pump hasn't ran a single time since living there. The more I think about this project, the more questions I have! 😂

Attached Images   

Last edited by EGrant23; 07-23-19 at 09:18 AM.