Had my final inspection??

Old 07-24-19, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Had my final inspection??

I had a basement refinishing project that has been going on for the last 5 years.

I called the building inspector in today for a final inspection ( last time he was there was in 2016). All of the signatures had worn off my permit due to being in the window for so long.

The inspector asked if I had my final electric and gas because they were no longer showing and I stated that I did.

He all but turned his head to take a quick look around and then signed off on the final inspection.

I was a bit confused by this as I thought he was going to go around thoroughly and check all the details of the work done. Is this a common practice or did the building inspector just want to call it a day?

Don't get me wrong here. I'm glad he didn't "nitpick" but that was not at all what I expected so it left me wondering if I was indeed done with the whole permit thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-19, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'm a little surprised your permit was good for that long of a time frame, especially between inspections. Some inspectors are nit pickers but many are easy to get along with, glad you got one of the latter.

rufunky voted this post useful.
Old 07-24-19, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I'm surprised he signed it off as well. In my county you get a year from when you take out the permit. You can apply for an extension but they don't let you drag things out.

Old 07-24-19, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow, I didn't even think about the time frame being an issue. He made a brief mention of him remembering being here a few years ago. Looks like I really got lucky. It was tough getting him back here but I guess it pays to be nice and respectful to the hand that feeds you.

Old 07-24-19, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Your are lucky. Permit valid for one year is pretty common.

Old 07-25-19, 04:58 AM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
I'm sure being just a basement finish vs some type of structure made a difference, I mean how much can someone screw that up? Right!