Basement Structural Beams

Old 08-04-19, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Structural Beams

Long story short, I bought a house that is essentially a tear down and rebuild. I knew this going in. Basically, what is going to be salvaged is the foundation and keeping the footprint of the house in tact. I'm trying to design the basement layout and just wanted a better understanding of how structural beams work in the basement. A structural engineer will be hired but I would like to know if I want to do is realistically feasible.

The basement dimensions on one side is roughly 48 feet long by 13 feet wide and another section 26 feet wide by 36 feet wide. the one side sticks out roughly 6 feet on the from and back. Currently, there is one steel beam that spans the full 48 feet with support posts about 8 feet apart. There are 2 steel beams that span the 36 feet with support posts about 8 feet apart. The house is a bungalow/cape code which has second story bedrooms. I'll also add that on the other side of the 48 foot long wall is a 24 foot long crawlspace for the breezeway to the garage which is a slab.

My goal here is that I want to have the section that is 26 x 36 as open as possible. Would it be possible to span that 36 feet with only one support in the middle? What size beam would be looking at? I'm sure anything is possible but is this realistic? When I talk with the engineer and the contractor, I want to have some information.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-19, 11:38 PM
Received 141 Votes on 131 Posts
Would it be possible to span that 36 feet with only one support in the middle?
Anything is possible, it will just require a proper sized beam, post and footing which is what the engineer is going to calculate!

The question will be is it worth the extra cost to open up the space?

Old 08-05-19, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money. More columns is generally less expensive but you can have fewer columns be going larger with the beam. What size you need will be determined by the Engineer. We can't even guess without knowing what it will be support but if you look online there are standard span tables that can tell you.