Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Encapsulating a cottage crawlspace built on bedrock

Old 08-06-19, 04:04 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I own a 3 season cottage that is built on concrete posts that are embedded into the bedrock. I would like to use the cottage in winter and I was thinking that encapsulating the crawlspace under the cottage is probably the best option.

I am looking for some reference material on all the steps that I would need to do to make sure that the water system is usable in the winter.

My thinking was to:
  1. Pour concrete footing between the existing concrete posts around the exterior of the crawlspace. I was thinking about using ICF forms to do that.
  2. Then I would construct 2” x 4” walls on top of the footings.
  3. The walls would then be insulated and I would add vinyl siding to the exterior walls.
  4. Once that is complete, I can add vapour barrier directly on the bedrock floor.
  5. Then I would add a baseboard heater to keep the area at a minimum temperature of 7 degree celcius

Any thoughts on my steps. Am I missing something? Am I making this more complicated than I need to?

Old 08-06-19, 04:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
How far off the ground is your cottage? It sounds like you are building a house and not just foundation skirting.

Why do you want to heat the crawl space?

Old 08-06-19, 05:11 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
FWIW: The Georgia Market Bulletin, current edition, has a lead story about termites and encapsulation. Jist of the article is that termite technicians can not see possible mud tunnels and have few reliable tools to check for termites when there is insulation over the foundation.

Just something to consider.

Old 08-06-19, 06:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I want to heat the crawl space because that is where the water pipes, hot water tank and water tank are.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: