Attic converted to bedroom - Proper ventilation?

Old 08-21-19, 08:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic converted to bedroom - Proper ventilation?

I have an attic that is on the same level as our second story. It was drywalled a long time ago but the drywall goes right to the peak of the roof, but I tore all that out. So there is no ventilation from the outside wall or roof. What is the proper way to vent it to be more comfortable for a bedroom?

My plan was to level it off at about 8 feet and leave about a foot of the peak open above and put a gable vent on the outside of the house wall. Is that enough? Or would I need roof vents above that too?

I attached photos of what the attic looked like before I tore out the drywall. Insulation is all still good besides in a couple spots I need to replace.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-19, 08:21 AM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
So to clarify, are you asking about the ventilation needs of the attic, above the drywall, or the room itself?

Old 08-21-19, 08:27 AM
Yeah I tore all that drywall out. And I want to turn this into a bedroom for my son. But it gets sooo hot in the summer time, was hoping to frame down that peak and leave about a foot above and put a gable vent above that outside window that would be above the framed in part. Hoping some proper ventilation above the room will help it stay cooler in the summer time.

Old 08-21-19, 08:42 AM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
The hot attic is most likely due to insufficient insulation. Most climate zones (we don't see yours) require r-40 or more.
A single gable vent would not be large enough in the space you suggested and best would be a ridge vent. There would also need to be a lot of low soffit venting for air to get in.

There are other issues for converting an attic to living space but i won't get into permits and inspections. I mentioned it so that is on you.

Bud

Old 08-21-19, 08:56 AM
Alright, maybe I will bring someone in that can get me started. Know a few guys. Just thought it might be something as simple as frame it off and gable vent it.

Old 08-21-19, 09:02 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
I know a lot of the houses with cathedral ceilings installed today are using spray foam. Local code here is now R50 if not R60 for roof. What size is the trusts?

Not a fan of working with spray foam, but it will resolve the space issue a bit and help with hot/cold

Old 08-21-19, 09:34 AM
Hi Kallas, not trying to scare you off but attics are difficult to do and meet best practices at a reasonable cost . It gets hot up there because that roof is being hammered with solar energy. Blocking that much heat is no small task thus the r-numbers mike mentioned.

if the budget will handle it, spray foam does do the job with the least amount of space in addition to eliminating the ventilation entirely. I'll add a related link.
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...p-of-roof-down

The other option is to remove the shingles and add 4 to 6" of rigid on top then new sheathing and new shingles. I'll cross that one off for you .

Bud

Old 08-21-19, 09:39 AM
Wow thanks. I didn't know spray foam did that good of a job. I will look into that for sure, that looks much easier...

Old 08-21-19, 10:34 AM
Take a chill pile before you get a price quote but when you consider what work you will eliminate it makes the decision a lot easier. Plus, it will work.

Bud
Note that was Mike's suggestion .

Old 08-22-19, 09:32 AM
Thanks again everyone. I am starting to learn more about all of this. I looked up R-49 insulation, but what I read for one of them is that you need 12 inches deep to fit that kind of insulation. I have like 4 inches. So is spray my only option?

Here is what I was looking at..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...BF92/206161019

Also, it seems a ridge vent is almost a must. Im fine with that, they aren't too hard to do. I was looking at doing a ridge vent and baffles if spray was too expensive. But the conventional fluffy stuff, doesn't seem too cheap either...

But if you use baffles, I don't even have that much room for insulation and a baffle with this cathedral type ceiling..

lol when will one project just be as simple as it was thought out to be...

Old 08-22-19, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
I have like 4 inches
Which is the main reason you shouldn't put a bedroom up there and expect it to be nice and cool in the summer, or nice and toasty in the winter. It was built to be an attic, not a bedroom. Same goes for the floor joists in your attic. Those joists were meant to be for a ceiling only, and maybe some light storage. Not as a floor, @ 40 lbs/Sq ft live load.

As for the roof, you could reframe the roof, or at least sister the existing using 2x12. (Leaving/sistering the existing is pretty inefficient unless you cover everything with spray foam.) Even then it would still be hot up there unless you have a wall a/c running 24/7 in the summer.

Old 08-22-19, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the insight. Didn't know that about the floor joists either, learning a lot already. I wonder why they drywalled/insulated it and put the flooring in the way they did then if they were just going to use it for storage... I will bring in a carpenter friend then and see what he would do.

Also is this article correct? It says 2x8's can be sistered. I will measure those and see what I have. I think thats what they are though. Would that work then for the floor?

Old 08-23-19, 08:45 AM
I went up and measured and the joists are 2 x 8, so it should be good for that span. The ceiling is 2x4s so I will need to sister in something larger on them to fit the insulation then correct? Would a 2x8 work for that or would I need a 2x10 or 12? I will also put in a ridge vent across the top and run baffles to the soffit.

I noticed on the rest of my house I dont have any roof vents or ridge vents. Just gable vents with soffit. No way I am ripping out all the bedrooms and redoing the whole upstairs... I do have an attic space above my second story that requires climbing up through a hole in the ceiling. But haven't looked up there in awhile. So maybe installing a ridge vent on the rest of the house might be enough. Hopefully that can be done when I get a new roof.

Old 08-23-19, 06:11 PM
Will your son have two exits from the room in case of a fire?

Old 08-26-19, 07:18 AM
Yeah, window and door, no difference than any other room besides the door is like 60 inches tall instead of 80 inches.