pouring new concrete over old?

Old 10-01-19, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pouring new concrete over old?

Our house has had a 2” slab poured over the first one(not sure why they did this? maybe to level it). It was poured in 1984 so it has heaved a little and instead of grinding down the high spots so i can finish the basement i would like to remove the old layer of concrete(which breaks off fairly easy). I plan on installing a sump pit and backwater. Now my question is i was thinking of pouring a 1” skim coat to level everything after. Are there any extra steps to take or can i just pour on top? There is slope towards the drain. Can i pour the new concrete flat without slope since i will have a sump pit? I realize it’s a lot of work but the main issue is we can’t afford to loose any more headroom

just a little more info I plan on installing dmx with 5/8 osb and lvp and spray foam 2” on the block walls at the end the concrete under the first layer is about 3”

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-19, 04:23 PM
Received 141 Votes on 131 Posts
which breaks off fairly easy
You already know the answer to part of the question, the new and old do not actually bond so there will always be a joint there.

Actually it's recommend that you isolate the two, assuming the original is SOLID. And nothing less than 2"

https://indecorativeconcrete.com/pla...rete-over-old/