Water on crawl space

Old 10-11-19, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water on crawl space

When we get a heavy rain we have water get into the crawl probably about 6 inches. We are on a sloped lot and the water collects on the low part of the crawl floor. Our house is raised about 5 feet 10 inches from the crawl floor. Crawl floor is dirt with a vapor barrier and. After the rain stops the water will drain out in just a few hours. I can see where the water is coming in at. Itís coming from the front of the house on the high side through openings in the block where the builders didnít get enough mortar on the blocks. The water then drains out under the crawl door on the low side.

I have thought about using hydraulic cement to patch the blocks that lack mortar and dry lock the walls, but a friend who is basically a civil engineer said the water psi could do more damage and itís better to just let the water into the crawl. Any suggestions would be great. There is no mold or anything in the crawl.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-19, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Tuck pointing the poor mortar joints is all fine and dandy, and may help somewhat, but the problem is likely present both inside and out, both above and below grade. True waterproofing needs to be done by excavating the foundation all the way to the footing, then applying either a coating or a membrane (such as Waterslicker or similar) over the foundation and footing. Perimeter drainage can also be added, for instance if you have someplace (downhill) nearby for that perimeter drainage to go.

Painting with drylock is largely futile. Waterproofing should be done outside, not inside.

Old 10-11-19, 07:57 PM
Water in crawl

That sounds expensive and probably too much for me to spend to do all of that. I do have a place downhill to direct water so would perimeter drain be an option?

Old 10-12-19, 02:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
A perimeter drain is a good option but for it to work correctly you need to place it at the footer but that would allow you to patch/seal the foundation at the same time.

Are your gutters piped away from the foundation?

Old 10-12-19, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
First I would re-grade your yard so water does not flow towards the house. I would try to keep the surface water about 10 feet away from the house.

Old 10-12-19, 07:26 AM
Water in crawl

most of the gutters are piped away I have a couple that are not and I have one section of guttering that is leaking at the front of the house, itís a pretty decent leak when it rains really hard. I will fix that leak and pipe the rest of the gutters. If that doesnít help would a French drain inside the crawl with a sump pump be a good alternative? I have about six feet of clearance in the crawl so it wouldnít be a tight space to work in.

Old 10-13-19, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
IMO a drain/pump on the inside is a last resort. It's better to stop the water before it enters the space!