Finishing Walkout basement - questions

Old 10-17-19, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing Walkout basement - questions

I'm in the planning stages of finishing our walkout basement. I've done a good bit of internet research and have some experience (my father and I built a 3 car garage about 20 years ago) but a few questions have arisen as I am getting ready to start the project.

This is a walkout type basement with the back wall completely above grade and consisting of standard 2 x 4 framing except for a short (roughly 20" long x 32" high) section of poured concrete wall on each end. The front wall is entirely poured concrete and the the side walls are poured concrete below grade and 2 x 4 framing above grade. (there 4 different heights of the poured side walls - 8.5', 6.5', 4.75', and 2.75"). The floor joists are roughly 105" above the concrete floor.

We've lived in the house over a year and there have been no leaks or water present in the basement. There are a couple of spots of efflorescence so I was planning clean them and to apply Drylok Waterproofer to the poured concrete walls before starting the project.

There is a slight gap between the concrete floor and the poured concrete walls (less than 1/8") - should I seal this gap? A couple of websites suggest not sealing the gap but those were talking about a water leak / water infiltration and basically stating that sealing it would not prevent water from getting in. If I should seal the gap, what should I use? Should I use caulk or hydraulic cement?

I was planning to apply 2" XPS foam board insulation to the poured concrete walls and then build a wall in front of the poured walls. About 3" of the top of poured wall is exposed where the bottom plate of the 2x4 walls are attached, should I also put the XPS foam board on the top of the exposed concrete?

I was going to build the side wall to roughly the height of the tallest section of the poured wall except or the shortest 2.75' section. For that section, I was just going to build a small pony wall. Several articles I've read suggest building the wall 1/4" shorter than the lowest point. I measured the from the concrete floor to the bottom of the floor joists and the highest point was 105.5" and the lowest was 104" inches. Is there an issue building the wall to 103.75 and shimming it? A 1.75" shim seems like a lot.

The longest continuous section of wall would be 18' and will be parallel to the side wall and perpendicular to the floor joists. Most likely, I will be the only one working on the project so is it permissible to build this in two sections? If so, can I simply join them together by nailing the end 2 x 4s together? I'm not sure that I could cover the place where they meet with a top plate. I've read some articles that suggest installing the top and bottom plates and then toe nailing the studs in one at a time but I think I would prefer to build them on the ground and tip them up. (I've got plenty of floor space)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-19, 05:39 AM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
There is a slight gap between the concrete floor and the poured concrete walls (less than 1/8") - should I seal this gap?
You stated no water issues so there is always gaps between different planes of walls, it;s not going to do anything one way or the other!

About 3" of the top of poured wall is exposed where the bottom plate of the 2x4 walls are attached, should I also put the XPS foam board on the top of the exposed concrete?
Exposed vertically or on the top of the wall? All exterior exposures should be insulated!

Several articles I've read suggest building the wall 1/4" shorter than the lowest point.
To allow for tilt up? I build mine 1 1/2" shorter, tip up and insert 2x4!

is it permissible to build this in two sections?
Absolutely, I typ build all my walls in 10' sections since I'm lifting them myself!

Old 10-18-19, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply!

Exposed vertically or on the top of the wall? All exterior exposures should be insulated!
This is the top of the wall. The poured concrete walls are about 7" wide on the top. The sill plate is flush with the outside of the wall so about 3.5" of the top of the concrete wall is exposed inside the basement. Was wondering if I should put the XPS foam board on the top of the surface?
To allow for tilt up? I build mine 1 1/2" shorter, tip up and insert 2x4!I think the suggestion was mainly to allow for situations like mine where the heights from floor to ceiling are not exactly uniform.
Thanks again.