Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Unfinished basement - remove existing ceiling insulation

Old 10-23-19, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need help from you and suggestions on the Unfinished basement ceiling. I am in Atlanta and the house is 4 years old. I am using my basement for the gym and my office. I am concerned that there are fiberglass batts pink color in the ceiling​​​​​​​ exposed and worry about the airborne. The basement is unheated and all the walls are insulated. It's always 40/50 F even in winter.

Can I remove the fiberglass ​​​​​​​ from the ceiling? is there is any impact on the first floor?
Or can I cover with? Plastic Sheeting

I like to use this place and it is a full door and ventilated,

Please help me to decide.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-19, 08:49 AM
Received 119 Votes on 110 Posts
There is no real need for insulation between conditioned spaces but it will help with sound depending on the thickness!

All fiberglass insulation should be covered.

Personally I would not remove and you could cover with plastic or even house wrap which is a lot stronger!

Old 10-23-19, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
First, are you having any problems? Fiberglass batt insulation when it's not disturbed doesn't do anything. It just sits there. If you poke at it and disturb it you can get some fibers to come out but otherwise nothing.

If you want to do something you can staple up sheet plastic, Tyvek or landscape fabric below it to act as a barrier. Since sheet plastic would act as a vapor barrier I'd use something vapor porous like Tyvek or landscape fabric.

Old 10-23-19, 09:07 AM
Received 40 Votes on 38 Posts
If you use plastic get 6 mill or thicker and then staple it in place.
I would put a small square of thin cardboard under each staple to stop them from pulling through.

Old 11-18-19, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much for all of your input and I decided to go with landscape fabric to staple the ceiling and look good. attached the images. Others may get an idea

https://imgur.com/nAK3FIl