Moving into basement before final inspection

Old 11-20-19, 11:00 AM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moving into basement before final inspection

Hey all,

I'm finishing my basement (living room and bathroom), and I've pulled all the necessary permits and passed all the rough-in inspections. All of our living areas are complete, and I've saved the bathroom for last. If I were to move into our living spaces now, do cities typically have the teeth to do much besides giving me a tut-tut for moving into the space before the final inspection? The bathroom will probably take me a few months to finish, so I'd hate to have the finished living space just sitting there unused in the meantime.

Thanks,

Old 11-20-19, 11:44 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
This is a finished basement in a house you are currently living in?

The move in C of O only applies to the house, nobody will care about the basement as you have bathrooms etc on the main floor!

Old 11-20-19, 11:48 AM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Correct, we're already living in the house. I just wasn't sure if there was any potential penalty from the city for moving into the newly-finished space, using the outlets, etc, before the final inspection is done. I still have every intention of doing the final inspection once the bathroom is finished.

Old 11-20-19, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Just make sure you are aware of any time limitations on your permits. Some locals give you 12 months from the start or 12 months from the last inspection. Many don't want you to drag projects out so the permits expire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: